Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
That is amazing! I'm looking around for an idea for a large-scale feeder, since I have 60ish birds in the same coop and go through a 50 lb bag of feed in 3 days, and this is a great design to upscale. These little bucket ideas just ain't gonna cut it lol. I'm sure I couldn't make something that spiffy, but wanted to compliment nonetheless. Awesome feeder.

You can try making one out of a larger bucket. I know there was some posted in the bucket thread, I'll try and find them and post them here.

These images belong to byc user losa. They are 15 gallon barrels that hold 2 sacks of feed. Go HERE and you can see what was posted on page 13. On page 16, someone made a box feeder using osb. I'm sure you could us a 55 gallon drum if you had the room for it to sit in your coop? Just a thought. :)

Quote: Ooh, that's a great idea, too. I hadn't even considered using a 55 gallon drum. I think I'll give that a shot! DH was supposed to be making a large wooden feeder for me, but he's obviously never going to get around to it, and this sounds like something I could manage on my own! Thank you very much for that helpful information.
big_smile.png

Here's my feeder:
As you can see it has a rim over it almost it stands high.It can not come out and the hens stand up on the blocks and cannot peck it out!Here's the blocks!

There's blocks and a piece of woods for them to stand on its on a crate as you can see.So the only possible way from what happen to you can't happen unless I throw the food all around.Or if the ducks push it over.Raising it off the grounds great!
Here's them eating:

Yes looks crowding,but I have 2 more feeders.

Last edited:
Posted a clip on our feeder last January after a mate here showed me how he made his, Cheers Hamish
smile.png

0.jpg

Best feeder we've ever had methinks.. Have added another pipe to it as well but still find 2 chooks trying to feed at one in one hole :/
Looking at making another soon to give to my sister with a few mod's... Just waiting for the feed store to get some more square based bins back in stock..

Cheers,
Rob..

Forgot to add the other feeder we added in a while back as well.. This is a living feeder & a very basic design that allows chooks with no access to foraging the chance to have greens growing in their pen/yard..

0.jpg

Hope that gives folks some ideas..
Cheers..

Last edited:
Did a clip showing a different way to attach a straight elbow to the drums/barrels..

Also did a bit of a test using height to stop one of our girls from "mining" &think I have found the sweet spot for our chooks..
Hope that helps..

ETA, I feel like a spammer with 3 post in a row, Sorry folks :/

Last edited:
I made my own design due to my new rooster I got about a year ago... I'd been using just a normal gravity bucket feeder and rooster would scratch all of it out until the bucket was empty! Jerk! haha... Not any more tho - had to outsmart him..

2 gallon bucket - bottom cut out - sits in a $7 feed container from TS. The trick was stopping Rocky from scratching the food... so i got a grill grate from HD that fits almost perfectly inside the container. The trick was getting them able to eat through the grate since the bars were so narrow. I took my angle grinder and cut a few bars off. You can see there are gaps for them to peck through. No more scratching! I put a piece of wood in the bottom that I wedged in there. I zip tied the wood to the grate and zip tied the grate to bucket. They can't tip it over and can't scratch it! I put it under the coop and have two of them. They hold about 25 pounds each. None of the other designs would stop them from scratching the food out. This does! I've been using them for over a year now.
They got to this one before I could get the lid on!

I made this after poking around here and getting some ideas and inspiration. This has worked pretty well. Just had to make on modification but now it works like a champ!

216ffec93c984096a05fbca03af44b1b.jpg

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Back
Top Bottom