Show Me Your Feeders!!

Pics
I have one of those automatic dog feeders that they put their head in and the when they take it out the door shuts. I was thinking about using that, but replacing the metal in the front for something clear and then taking the door off. The dogs are scared of it anyway.

My Silkies will be graduating from their chick feeder soon, and I really like the idea of a bucket feeder with a PVC elbow or the PVC tube. I have a couple questions. With all of the extra plumage around a Silkie's head, will they have any problem using one of these? Also, if I try to use the bucket version, should the elbow be cut shorter so that they can reach the feed? Thanks!

So I've made a couple big tote feeders with3 inch pvc elbows. I just made a smaller version in a 2 ggallon bucket and 2 inch pvc elbows. It's working great for my week old chicks!

I trying to figure out a way to feed 50 Cornish Xs I will be getting in about 2 months. I think this is the way to go! I hate the troughs because they spill so much feed, I think I might build 3-4 of these things for them. What do you think?

Another cool idea, doesn't hold as much feed for storage, but looks next to impossible for the chooks to rake feed out of...
AND you can feed fermented feed from it, or sprouted grains.

[VIDEO]

Last edited:
Nice video, goosegrrl. If I'd seen it earlier, I might have done something similar. This weekend I made this:

I needed something quick because I was leaving town and didn't want to have to worry about my neighbor fumbling with food and water for the birds twice a day like I was used to doing. I estimate this holds about 15# of crumble. I liked the pvc feeders but wanted something that more birds could eat from at once and that used what I already had so it would be free. We'll see how well it works out long term! Some components I will swap out. Ride now the down tube in the center (which I will be cutting shorter) is some leftover picture frame matting I had, and the sticks to prevent scratching the food are kabob skewers, which turned out to be the perfect length to run from the bottom of the bin and snap into the groove under the top lip. As you can probably tell, the bin is a cat litter bucket that I painted. It's actually a nice soft green in real life. I put a scrap piece of wood on top to keep them from pooping on the lid, and it also helps hold the handle up so it is out of the way of the cutouts. I put cutouts on all four sides to accommodate 20 birds. When they move out of the brooder and into the coop I think I will be hanging it from the rafters.

I like that he ran tubing cut in half along the bottom of the cuts in the bucket. I will be adding that feature to my bucket when I get back. I also wonder if my openings are too low, but I wanted to keep a natural feeding position for the birds. Hopefully they don't kick it full of bedding.

I use a 30lb feeder and hang it, I adjust the hight about once a week for the growing birds, when they start to flick it out than I raise it up and that solves the prob, I don't clean up the spilt food because they eat it still, I had a troth feeder and a round one with a jar on top before on wood, they would dig at both and they still try to dig that area where those feeders where to look for food, I guess it gives them something todo. I have 22 birds and 6-7 eat off the ground at one time, lowest of the pecking order I assume also. All can easily reach the feeder and waterer, I partly hang my double walled 8gal waterer also and that did wonders to keeping that clean, I put blocks of wood under the waterer to take some of the weight, 8 gals is a lot of weight and I'm sure it's not designed to be a hanging waterer, now neither can tip over no matter what they do.

Back
Top Bottom