Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Pallet hide in the run up on cinder blocks (behind the raccoon trap in the first picture). Also pallet base for treadle feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpg
    IMG_4055.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4060.jpg
    IMG_4060.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220529_225242_HDR.jpg
    20220529_225242_HDR.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Night 2 on the cinderblock.jpg
    Night 2 on the cinderblock.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220529_080936_HDR.jpg
    20220529_080936_HDR.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 7
I also wanted to share the ceiling of our coop. We did this with pallet wood in 2014. The slats are not attached but laid in the longer supports which are nailed. This way those slats can be removed in case mice or mites decided to try to move it.

P1020986.JPG
P1020990.JPG

This is how we covered the pallets that make up the interior of the wall. We bought a huge load of boards that were milled from pines on DH's cousins property. It filled the bed of a Chevy pickup and a big flat bed trailer. We paid $100 which is what he had in it. He had built and sided a very nice home with very little help from anyone. It was amazing. This was some of the stuff he had left. It took very little of that pile to side the coop. These photos were all taken after we finish this coop in 2014. Here we still hadn't finished to run.

P1020975.JPG

I posted the photos from my phone but much prefer the laptop for typing.

Here ya go! DH has tall posts set because our intention is to put up wire fencing. The deer started nibbling early spring about the time he was working a lot. So I had to come up with something quickly until we could finish our original plan. Well, that was last year. lol I went to Lowes got deer netting and coated clothes line wire. The 2 ft bunny fence had been in place for some time. It gave me something to anchor the bottom to. The netting has been in place since March 2021 with only minor repairs. The netting was less than $25 per roll. It took less than 2 rolls. The clothes line was about $20. I've been surprised with the nettings durability. It's almost invisible from a distance. I tied streamers so it was more visible to the deer and birds. Thankfully, I've not had any birds get tangled.
This looks lovely!!! I have garden envy!!! It's on the list for next yr!!!

A really solid tip. I had, at this point already considered that...actually using different thicknesses didn't even cross my mind 😅. However, giving the top a good sanding did cross my mind. I am thinking that would help even everything out (if it was at all off a smidge) and reduce the chance of splinters. All the minors run barefoot ALL.THE.STINKEN.TIME!!! drives me crazy!! They do, however come by it naturally. 🤷‍♀️😂🤷‍♀️😂

:idunno Well, there is another option that I have been relucent to mention. If you had a planer, you could run the pallet planks through the machine and they would come out the same thickness and already sanded, so to speak.

1663198322259.png

I did a house remodel years ago, and had to buy a planer for the job. Planers are not cheap, and I think an inexpensive planer would cost ~$400.00, more or less. They work great, but you would have to be 100% certain you had no leftover nails or pieces of metal in your pallet slats. That means, you should also buy a metal detector (~$40.00) to scan your pallet wood before you run it through the planer. If not, you would destroy the planer blades and that would set you back ~$50.00 for a new set of blades.

1663198689732.png

If you really get into woodworking projects, maybe all those tools would have great value. I suspect most people reading this thread are interested in building pallet wood projects to save money. Buying all those tools just for pallet projects would not be my first choice. However, I have seen many YouTube videos of guys using all these tools to build some really outstanding pallet projects. But they are definitely on another level than what I can do.

I think you are right on track about trying to find pallet wood slats of about the same thickness and then sanding them down to ~level and prevent splinters. Call it good enough and enjoy the build at that point.

Here's a Doc update! Since we moved him into the Pig Palace he has NOT escaped. (knock knock)
He is adjusting so well, and has even started to greet us at the gate! He goes to bed on his own, and burrows under the straw. This caused us a good scare the other night as he was nowhere to be seen! Lol
Minors go back and see him often, but they DO NOT enter at all. I only go in if someone else is out there, just as a way to practice safety. Doc enjoys behind his ears being scratched and the top of his head!

Why would he want to escape the Pig Palace built for him? He is living the dream at the moment. Looks very happy to me. Glad to hear things are working out well for everybody. Love the updates and pics. Thanks.

I am quite proud to say the pallet shed has survived a tropical storm! We had wind gusts up to 90mph with tons of rain, and the shed did not budge or leak except for a single loose screw on the roof. I was concerned the gaps between the overlapping boards would allow water to seep in but even the open knot holes were dry. This storm was really a worst-case scenario for this area so I'm very happy with the shed, although I'll have to hold judgement until we get our second worst-case scenario - a heavy snowfall.

After the storm everything was soaked for days, so instead of building doors we finished the pallet fence around the shed - this will hide our eyesore collection of building materials. Everything is pretty dry today, so I'm hoping to get started on the doors.

Attachments

• 20220914_101130.jpg
    20220914_101130.jpg
    937.4 KB · Views: 7
It's been raining here for the past few days, so nothing new to report on my pallet projects. Mainly been inside the house or in the garage cleaning and organizing. You know, the stuff you let sit to work on those rainy days.

Went into town and picked up a few more free pallets at Harbor Freight. They had a special sale on this weekend - get a free tool with any $49.99 purchase. I had a few things on my list waiting for a deal like this, so I loaded up my cart and chose a 18 Gauge 2-in-1 Air Nailer/Stapler as my free gift.

1663523410421.png

That brad nailer/stapler is normally priced at $35.00, but I got it free with my $50.00 purchase. I am thinking I might try to build some bird houses, crates, bins, or other small projects using the stapler feature of this gun. I hope it's a good nailer/stapler. After 6,000+ reviews, it's rated at 4.5 stars.

One of my tool purchases on my list was this 1/4 in. - 2-1/8 in. Forstner Drill Bit Set With 3/8 in. Shanks, 16 Pc.

1663523821675.png

I have been looking around town for a good Forstner bit set for a couple of months. Normally, $43.00 for the set, but I got a damaged shipping box reduced to $33.00. It's still a brand new set, but the plastic cover on the case was cracked. I don't care about the case top being cracked. It will be sitting in my tool box drawer out of sight.

:idunno Honestly, I have seen mixed reviews on this Harbor Freight Forstner bit set on YouTube. I don't imagine this set would be up to the standards of a professional woodworker, but I am hoping that the set will be good enough for my occasional DIY projects. It's the best deal I could find in town.

I also checked out Amazon and found other Forstner bits sets from $23.00 to $200.00. You know, I have never had a Forsner bit set, don't know how much I will use it in the future, and don't know a high quality set from an adequate, or poor, set of these bits. But I decided to take a chance on this set.

⚠️ Warning: Amazon reviews. ⚠️ I pretty much take Amazon reviews with a grain of salt these days. I have a nephew who just graduated from High School last year, and he got some job writing positive reviews for products on Amazon. The reseller company (not Amazon) tells/suggests them what words to use in their reviews and then he gets paid for writing up short 5 star reviews on items he has never seen or used. I cannot agree with that practice. :tongue

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom