Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

That well would be so adorable there! I'm wondering if something like that would be light enough for two people to shift easily for when we pump the septic tank.

I have a smaller, lighter, wishing well and I can move it myself. Having said that, it's not so much the weight of the well as it may be the bulk and hard to handle with one person.

:old But I'm at an age where I team lift just about everything to protect my back. Good example, today, Dear Wife helped me load and unload the 4 pallet wood raised beds I built this winter on to my tow behind the mower wagon to take out to the backyard where the garden beds are. Those beds are not that heavy (considering it's all wood), but the real challenge is the 4X4 foot size of the raised bed framing. I cannot safely lift and move them by myself.

I built my own closet! It’s kinda ugly, but sturdy and useful it was also fun building. I don’t have electric tools so it took a while, but again, I had fun. View attachment 3793157

:clap That's the whole spirit of DIY and pallet projects. Have fun building something useful to you. I think it looks great. Great job!

Ive tried the whiskey barrel

Dear Wife had a half whiskey with flowers in it in her garden by our garage. Looked very nice in the summertime full of flowers.

:tongue Someone backed into that whiskey barrel this winter and smashed it to pieces, beyond repair. No idea who/when it happened. They did not bother to say anything to us about it. I went to the Fleet store, Menards and Home Depot and found that those half whiskey barrels cost about $50.00 each now!

:love Considering that whiskey barrel got smashed up by someone's vehicle, she asked me to build her a couple of 16X16 inch pallet wood planters instead of buying new whiskey barrels. I built her 2 of these...

1712467804958.jpeg

The camera angle makes it look a little wonky, but I assure that the planter in real life is square in all respects. It has about the same size for planting as the half whiskey barrel did.

Today, the weather was beautiful, so we were working outside, and we tossed all the broken whiskey barrel pieces into a cart, and I hauled them down to my burn ring. They have some kind of coating on the wood, so I did not want to save it for anything.

Anyway, we got the new pallet wood planter in the place where she used to have the whiskey barrel.

FWIW, the old whiskey barrel lasted about 25 years, but the wood was rotting out. I had to make 2 good half whiskey barrels last year out of pieces from 4 whiskey barrels that were falling apart.

:old At our age, I guess it does not make much sense to buy a new 25-year whiskey barrel for $50.00. I built the pallet wood planter for about $1.00 in new nails and screws. Of course, the pallet wood was free. I don't know how long the pallet wood planter will last, but probably long enough for us so it would not matter.

One of the advantages to making things yourself is that you can fix them yourself if/when they need a repair. Plus, I had fun building those planters for Dear Wife. :D

:old But I'm at an age where I team lift just about everything to protect my back. Good example, today, Dear Wife helped me load and unload the 4 pallet wood raised beds I built this winter on to my tow behind the mower wagon to take out to the backyard where the garden beds are. Those beds are not that heavy (considering it's all wood), but the real challenge is the 4X4 foot size of the raised bed framing. I cannot safely lift and move them by myself.
I want a wife like that.

I have a smaller, lighter, wishing well and I can move it myself. Having said that, it's not so much the weight of the well as it may be the bulk and hard to handle with one person.

Excellent point. I'd sure love a well there though. I started looking at well designs and trying to think of ways to make it lighter but Im doubtful I could. Looking at wells though was a pleasure.

I want a wife like that.

:love No doubt Dear Wife is special (36 years together). I would never ask her to lift anything heavy. The empty pallet wood raised beds are not very heavy, but at 4X4 feet, I cannot lift and carry it myself. It's an easy team lift, though, and Dear Wife helps me with that kind of stuff.

Excellent point. I'd sure love a well there though. I started looking at well designs and trying to think of ways to make it lighter but Im doubtful I could. Looking at wells though was a pleasure.

Well, many projects can be built on site. That works if you have a heavy project that you won't move after built.

Sometimes you can build a project in sections, and assembly them at final site. The sections could be small enough to move by themselves whereas the entire build might be too heavy.

I have made a number of raised bed frames only, was able to move them to their end location without much problem, then finished them off with the side wall boards that add all that weight.

I have built things on a cart, moved them to their site, and then it was easy to drop it off where needed. I have a cart like this which is rated for 1,200 pounds. I would not want to test that limit, but 4 wheels make life much better for many jobs...

1712503802742.png

My cart also has those side panels that can be removed. I have used it a few times like that, with a flat bottom. It's a nice feature that my other full bin Gorilla carts cannot do. I have a couple of these as well...

1712504210607.png

I prefer to use the full watertight Gorilla cart for most of my gardening. I don't have to worry about topsoil or compost falling through the watertight bin. But if I am loading up pallet wood or lawn clean up fallen wood on ground, for example, I like to use the wire mesh cart in case it rains because the water will not pool up inside that cart and soak the wood.

Both types of carts have their advantages which is why I ended having both types.

⚠️ These carts are relatively expensive compared to a wheelbarrow. IMHO, they are worth the extra cost. But they are easily stolen. I had one cart disappear on me by the side of my garage. :tongue Since then, I store my carts out of sight or inside a shed.

Well, many projects can be built on site. That works if you have a heavy project that you won't move after built.

Sometimes you can build a project in sections, and assembly them at final site. The sections could be small enough to move by themselves whereas the entire build might be too heavy.

I have made a number of raised bed frames only, was able to move them to their end location without much problem, then finished them off with the side wall boards that add all that weight.

I have built things on a cart, moved them to their site, and then it was easy to drop it off where needed. I have a cart like this which is rated for 1,200 pounds. I would not want to test that limit, but 4 wheels make life much better for many jobs...

View attachment 3794341

My cart also has those side panels that can be removed. I have used it a few times like that, with a flat bottom. It's a nice feature that my other full bin Gorilla carts cannot do. I have a couple of these as well...

View attachment 3794349

I prefer to use the full watertight Gorilla cart for most of my gardening. I don't have to worry about topsoil or compost falling through the watertight bin. But if I am loading up pallet wood or lawn clean up fallen wood on ground, for example, I like to use the wire mesh cart in case it rains because the water will not pool up inside that cart and soak the wood.

Both types of carts have their advantages which is why I ended having both types.

⚠️ These carts are relatively expensive compared to a wheelbarrow. IMHO, they are worth the extra cost. But they are easily stolen. I had one cart disappear on me by the side of my garage. :tongue Since then, I store my carts out of sight or inside a shed.
I want one of those mesh ones with the removable sides.

Back
Top Bottom