Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

I'm hoping to become a Delaware Junky. I've got a trio of Hatchery Delawares. They are OK, but have some serious defaults. I'd LOVE to be able to hatch some breeder stock eggs. I really want to start a breeding program here.

I just bought 3 HUGE coops from craigslist. 9 feet long by 4 feet wide, by 7 feet tall including the feet. They were originally pigeon coops. I'll have to do some heavy duty cleaning once we pick them up, stain them and adjust some really high nextboxes so that the eggs roll, or they are open on the bottom as roosts instead of boxes on one unit. One unit is divided into two sides and will work great as a vet unit or for isolating breeding pairs.

Second one can be good for putting mom and brooding chicks in. Not sure what I'll use the third for, but I'm so excited!!!

Now in a few weeks I'll need to think about what I'm going to fill them with~

Laney

Kathy, you're supposed to call in sick on hatch day. Especially Delaware Hatch Day. Hey...maybe we could make it a national holiday? You get 2-3 a year? It could be the first multi-year Holiday there is!!!

National Delaware Hatch Days. . . I love it!!!! We need a flag!

Laney, if you don't know what to do with that third coop, I live in North Carolina and I have plenty of room for it. . . . .
wink.png

Seriously, congrats on the Craiglist find - my area never seems to have anything good like that!!!!

Rustyswoman and Kathyinmo. . . I hope this means lots more chick pics for Delaware junkies like me that don't have any to look at. . . .YET!!!!

A flag! What a good idea. How about a big red stripe on top and then intermittent white and barred stripes?

And yes I will be taking alot of pictures. I always do.
I always say "just a few" and then 170 pictures later... I just can't figure out how I can actually be snapping that many? Thank goodness for digital cameras.

While I was going through the Delaware incubating blues I came across a post from Nupine. She had Del eggs for sale.

They are hatching out as I speak. I have 9 more little Dels and 2 more have pips!

So now with Speckled Hens... I am in Delaware bliss. I can actually picture all of them roaming around the property with their glorious red combs, big white chested bodies and beautiful barred tails strutting and scratching.

Oh, #10 is zipping

I thought you all would get a kick out of this I live in Delaware county! now is that sweet or what!

and I mite just take the flag thing to heart....

yippie more Dels and more Del junkys
celebrate.gif

jumpy.gif

I think we should! # 11 made it out. There are actually 2 more pips but one hasn't done anything for awhile. But 11 out of 14 is really good.
Especially since the power went out on day 18 (someone wrapped themselves around a telephone pole) They were down to about 83 and I had to run them over to the office to get them warm. Traffic got delayed. I put a hot water bottle in with them and I wrapped the incubator in my robe and coat. I was able to bring them home that night.

Tough little babies!

Back
Top Bottom