Show Off Your Games!

Having a nap

Having a morning crow :)

You can't remove the game out of a game chicken IF it is a game chicken to start with, no matter how much it's coddled.
barnie.gif

I read about it as a technique that has been effective for several of them with happy results .
They may have changed the behavior of several, but that is a small handful out of millions of roosters in this breed. Likely the ones that they were able to "change" will #1 revert to their true nature or #2 have "cold" (non-game blood) in their ancestry somewhere so while they looked the part they were not true games. And I can't help but wonder how many they have not been able to change for every one they "changed".

Take it from me, I started off with my first gamefowl 10 years ago next year as someone who never thought I'd dub my birds, had no intention of doing anything illegal with them and figured I could raise them together and if I didn't "train" them, they'd be just dandy. The first year I actually raised some I found out their true nature. The more I learned about the breed and their history the more I understood them, the more my attitude changed about the breed and the sport that created them as they are today. I show them when I get the chance and I do dub them for that (and to prevent frostbite), but even if I don't I still enjoy them more now that ever before.

Take the time to learn the true history of the breeding that went into the breed and you'll understand your new pet much better and likely develop a greater attraction to the breed :)

Last edited:
Yeah, crowing might be a problem. You can always get turkeys. They are pretty cool too and don't make a whole lot of noise. The roosters are very terretorial and will fight with any other rooster. I've had 3-4 month old roosters that were brothers and I found them all bruised up from fighting with each other. I have a 3 year old rooster that is by himself. I used to have a hen in there with him, but whenever I went to feed them, the rooster would attack the hen and wouldn't let her eat untill he was done eathing.

Wow, he is pretty. You know, you could tether him and he'd be quite happy there. Its hard to know what happened to him, he could have been kept to show as well and got loose and as you say, there ae wild chickens about...could have been fighting with them for awhile. Alot of things could have happened.
Just a word of advise...teach him to come to you for a treat or hand feed,and allow you to pick him up....if you sneak and grab him you'll make him neurotic and constantly looking for the next time, unable to relax completely.
I think you've been given some misadvise from other people - before this thread, so its good you are looking for information about games. It is unlikely he will ever tolerate another rooster near him, ever. But you can still keep him as a pet....I've never had one attack me. They are quite friendly to people really. Its prob hard to understand their nature until you actually see it, but even if he tangles with another rooster you can easily scoop him up and get him away.
At his age, you'll prob need to protect him. If the neighbors complain just say, yeah, I heard that crowing too....must be a wild chicken in the woods over there. Point somewhere vaugely toward the neighbor with the rooster.

aww poor fellow. it is so good you saved him not many people would do that. I ones had a old english BB red bantam and he was abused before I got him because every time I would put my hands near him he would freak out so bad that he would pass out. but over time he became very friendly he was one of the best roosters we have ever had. he was so nice to the hens and to the other roosters. he was a good father to his sons.here is a pic of him I really do miss him he died of old age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom