Show Off Your Games!

Ditto. April, 6th, at Jaycee's park in Tuscaloosa they are having the George Wood Memorial ALGBA poultry show. I thought of attending myself since I'm so close, might run into some old friends.. But, I doubt I make it.

You can tell by where the base of the comb was originally, pea combed birds will have feathers from the front or mid-part of their eye back whereas a straight combed bird will have the bare skin straight down the middle of their head basically or at least past the eye.

I wish I had pictures to aide in my explanation, but I don't believe I have any.

God bless,
Daniel.

ETA:
Here's a couple crap photos, but hopefully you get the idea.
Pea combed bird:

Straight combed bird:

Beautiful, handsome rooster! I am new to this thread; enjoying the information, and photos of gorgeous birds.

Would you please tell me what is the object, which is attached from the top part of the rooster's beak, to the top of his head? Most likely, it is not cosmetic...What is the purpose of it?
Also, I have noticed that there is a large band/ring around his ankle with large conical piece on the back side of it which at first I thought it was leg band; but, have a feeling that I am wrong in my guess for it looks too large and cumbersome. Would you kindly tell what that is?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Beautiful, handsome rooster! I am new to this thread; enjoying the information, and photos of gorgeous birds.

Would you please tell me what is the object, which is attached from the top part of the rooster's beak, to the top of his head? Most likely, it is not cosmetic...What is the purpose of it?
Also, I have noticed that there is a large band/ring around his ankle with large conical piece on the back side of it which at first I thought it was leg band; but, have a feeling that I am wrong in my guess for it looks too large and cumbersome. Would you kindly tell what that is?

Thank you.

If you are talking about the black line over the top of the rooster's head, that was drawn (photoshop) on the picture to show the difference in the length of the dubbing between a pea combed and a straight combed rooster. The thing attached to the leg is a tether band. It is kind of like a dog collar for a rooster. It allows the rooster to be tethered on a leash so that it does not fight with other roosters.

Last edited:
Some pics from this week..
Mean mug, nine of ten eggs hatched

If you are talking about the black line over the top of the rooster's head, that was drawn (photoshop) on the picture to show the difference in the length of the dubbing between a pea combed and a straight combed rooster. The thing attached to the leg is a tether band. It is kind of like a dog collar for a rooster. It allows the rooster to be tethered on a leash so that it does not fight with other roosters.
Yes, I was referring to the black line which you have mentioned above. I had no idea that it would be possible to leash a rooster. Thank you very much for your reply to my questions, and the explanations.

whatever breed it is its adorable!
Thank you!
big_smile.png
Her name is Savannah. She is a sweet chicken, though she won't let me get too close to her. She's a free ranger, & gets to roam the yard. She also lays me an egg every day, bless her faithful little heart! :) She tried to go broody on me yesterday, but I stopped that real quick, because she doesn't have any fertile eggs right now.

Thank you! :D  Her name is Savannah. She is a sweet chicken, though she won't let me get too close to her. She's a free ranger, & gets to roam the yard. She also lays me an egg every day, bless her faithful little heart! :) She tried to go broody on me yesterday, but I stopped that real quick, because she doesn't have any fertile eggs right now.
one thing. Go to tractor supply or co op and get a plastic owl. My hen Just like yours was caught by a hawk. Hawks are terrified of owls in the wild owls attack Hawks. I'd get an owl (or two. I have two and hadn't seen an owl in four months)

Thank you! :D  Her name is Savannah. She is a sweet chicken, though she won't let me get too close to her. She's a free ranger, & gets to roam the yard. She also lays me an egg every day, bless her faithful little heart! :) She tried to go broody on me yesterday, but I stopped that real quick, because she doesn't have any fertile eggs right now.
one thing. Go to tractor supply or co op and get a plastic owl. My hen Just like yours was caught by a hawk. Hawks are terrified of owls in the wild owls attack Hawks. I'd get an owl (or two. I have two and hadn't seen an owl in four months) you don't want little savannah coming up gone. Gosh I can't get over how cute she is it makes me miss my little penny :'(

do you think these are game breed? They wandered into my yard 2-3 weeks ago. Someone said they look like game mixes so I thought I'd post here

I love my game birds but i have 5 out of my 8 hens going broody on me. What are some tips and tricks to break a hen from wanting to brood and hopefully get back to laying me some eggs?

I have a breaking pen where I put a broody hen to break from being broody. It is a small 4 foot by 4 foot pen with food and water and nothing that resembles a nest. Some hen will break in a few days. More determined hens will take a week or more. The idea is to get the hen away from other chickens and nests so its mind does not think about sitting on eggs. This works on most hens but there are a few hens that just won't give up no matter what you do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom