Show Off Your Games!

I did see a thread elsewhere the other day where some breeders were discussing a method where the fowl were raised solely on hard grains.  I don't see freerangers eating only seeds and grains so am a bit skeptical of the method myself.  Think the birds know a bit more about their ideal diet. 

I think it could be done with a mix of grains and an overall protein level that is quite a bit higher than the minimum requirement which makes for a pricey formulation. The real problem then would still be vitamins. Some vitamins are a bit short in grains and plant materials in general. If birds can eat a lot of contaminants involving soil bacteria and the like that might help with the vitamin issue. I would not want to push such a diet on birds during periods of rapid growth. As a maintenance diet seems more plausible.

My free-range birds get only hard / whole grains during much of year but a very significant if not the majority of their consumption comes from forages that always have a lot of animal life.

Guys I was talking to where talking about confined birds and implied only whole corn, millet and oats are used. They may not have the control over intake they think they have as some where tied.

I have seen Amishmen buy game males at the auction sale. I just figured they were going to cross them with their reds.
I suppose they could have gotten them for resale, if they had a buyer. not too many other options come to my mind.
They wouldn't be using them for meat, that wouldn't be very practical. As a whole, they are a fairly practical bunch.
If I see one buy another in the future, I will ask him

Sounds good happy hatching. I'm just gonna keep a few Kelso stags about 6 miner pullets and that's it. No where near last hatch. Incubators are staying in the shed.

Back
Top Bottom