Show Off Your Games!

I think it could be done with a mix of grains and an overall protein level that is quite a bit higher than the minimum requirement which makes for a pricey formulation. The real problem then would still be vitamins. Some vitamins are a bit short in grains and plant materials in general. If birds can eat a lot of contaminants involving soil bacteria and the like that might help with the vitamin issue. I would not want to push such a diet on birds during periods of rapid growth. As a maintenance diet seems more plausible.

My free-range birds get only hard / whole grains during much of year but a very significant if not the majority of their consumption comes from forages that always have a lot of animal life.

Guys I was talking to where talking about confined birds and implied only whole corn, millet and oats are used. They may not have the control over intake they think they have as some where tied.

I'll have to see if I can find the article I read, but seemed these guys were even using the grains only feed to form their cull/keep list as well. I would be worried about vitamins as well, especially here where you and I live with the constant stress from the bipolar weather we experience here in Kansas and Missouri. My Hmong buddies feed a lot of grains only, but they also provide table scraps, veggies, lots of rice, etc to their birds and they grow them to 7-9 pound+ range. Probably like many of the methods, find what works with your birds and stick to it I guess.

I'll have to see if I can find the article I read, but seemed these guys were even using the grains only feed to form their cull/keep list as well.  I would be worried about vitamins as well, especially here where you and I live with the constant stress from the bipolar weather we experience here in Kansas and Missouri.  My Hmong buddies feed a lot of grains only, but they also provide table scraps, veggies, lots of rice, etc to their birds and they grow them to 7-9 pound+ range.  Probably like many of the methods, find what works with your birds and stick to it I guess.

Do your Hmong buddies use any fermented grain products? Fermentation can provide some vitamins normally acquired from animals or bacteria in the diet. A constant environment would very much be helpful as well to control stress.

Last edited:
When it comes to blacks my favorite are Mcrae and Mugs. Currently counting my pennies to get a trio of Mcraes from Hawaii.
I just kind of aquired him from an associate of mine. I do have black Roundheads but as far as mugs or warhorse don't know nothing about them. About how much is shipping from Hawaii and do they have to be quarantined or anything?

Back
Top Bottom