Show Off Your Games!

Would it look ugly if I dubbed an adult cock? or is any age ok?

And one more random question... Do Geese cause problems for gamefowl, cats, dogs or crows? Are they a good addition to a small farm like I have?

I have dubbed them at all ages, but I prefer to let them get fully mature before dubbing. Normally I wait til they are at least a year old to dub many times 2 depending on the line. Dubbing too soon can leave you with a bird with comb/wattles that have grown back out a bit. It is also a stress on them so I want them fully grown so as not to stunt their development. And geese can be quite mean and mischievous, had a Canada once that would taunt and get the cocks to hit at the wire of their cages.

Assuming the yellow skin gene was not a "regulatory mutation(s)" in domesticated descendants of the Red Jungle Fowl and can in fact be attributed to another species of Gallus, would a genetic analysis of Gallus Gallus vs. Gallus Gallus Domesticus suggest that another species "played just as much into the origin of the chicken" as Gallus Gallus? I suggest you check with the geneticists on the "Classroom at the Coop" http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm and see if you can get those folks to agree with that assertion. If as I suspect , they will confirm Gallus Gallus contributed everything EXCEPT yellow skin (which makes yellow and green shanks) then it would not be correct to say other species contributed "just as much" to domesticated fowl.

My bad I was going off of current genetic research findings. I know "experts" from an internet forum probably trumps their work... :p

Just cause I wanted to.

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pgen.1000010 Here is a link concerning DNA analysis of the domestic chicken. and past hybridaztion with non red jungle fowl Here is a quote of interest. " To date, no studies have compared gene sequences associated with a specific phenotype found in domestic chickens across numerous wild junglefowls and domestic breeds." The original link i posted came from "Classroom at the Coop".

Last edited:
Awful lot of genetic talk and phenotype blah blah blah blah. Start another thread for all that mess. It's a hobby or lifestyle whatever you want it to be. Anybody can be an expert on the Internet. Besides I find it rather boring. That's just my 2 cents. Then again I'm no expert. I'm also not trying to reinvent the wheel like some.

The genetics discussion is relevant to those with a long-term interest in gamefowl. Some breed for color because it titillates them or commands a higher price for the peddler (lots of evidence here for that). Others have interest so as to better understand the variability of their birds in ways not always limited to purtiness. Games are core to the development of most if not all other breeds and many of the alleles used to define specific ornamental and production breeds can be found in games as they are likely source of those alleles. The games are very close to the birds in which those original alleles arose through mutation of hybridization. If the genetics talk makes your head spin, then quit being sissies with all the complaints and study up on it.

You sissies.

Back
Top Bottom