Show Off Your Games!

Heads up avoid "Belt Hatchery Jungle Fowl" they are not real Jungle Fowl, I was hoping to get some RJF chicks today, nope, they are mixes of who knows what... I suspect Sumatra/Silkie & Cornish Game. The picture for them is RJF but I know what those chicks are suppose to look like as I had RJF before, and Belt birds are all wrong, total fakes according to another member who bought a few & contacted the hatchery to find out what they really had when they grew up looking like big weird birds, it is a secret mix with 0% JF & probably not even Saipan JF in them based on what the other member found out.

Bummed me out I was all jazzed till I saw the chicks, I even questioned the store if they had mixed the breeds up, nope the lady at the hatchery told them "JF come in different colors, sizes & shapes".

So still no birds, my search for a few small chicks continues... note I am okay with sumatras (and many different breeds) but I want to know what I have, not play mystery mix bird (if I do mixed breed I want to know what is in it) and have it mature to a size not right for my coop size... it's little so smaller standard breeds or bantams just 2 or 3 pullets is my goal. RJF hens would have been perfect.

Heads up avoid "Belt Hatchery Jungle Fowl" they are not real Jungle Fowl, I was hoping to get some RJF chicks today, nope, they are mixes of who knows what... I suspect Sumatra/Silkie & Cornish Game. The picture for them is RJF but I know what those chicks are suppose to look like as I had RJF before, and Belt birds are all wrong, total fakes according to another member who bought a few & contacted the hatchery to find out what they really had when they grew up looking like big weird birds, it is a secret mix with 0% JF & probably not even Saipan JF in them based on what the other member found out.

Bummed me out I was all jazzed till I saw the chicks, I even questioned the store if they had mixed the breeds up, nope the lady at the hatchery told them "JF come in different colors, sizes & shapes".

So still no birds, my search for a few small chicks continues... note I am okay with sumatras (and many different breeds) but I want to know what I have, not play mystery mix bird (if I do mixed breed I want to know what is in it) and have it mature to a size not right for my coop size... it's little so smaller standard breeds or bantams just 2 or 3 pullets is my goal. RJF hens would have been perfect.
Sorry to hear that. Everybody I know that is looking for RJF say its really hard to find good stock.

I went onto their website and didn't even see that they offer RJF... I couldn't find any info

I bought two pairs of surgical scissors from Jeffers pet... Im still too scared to dub. lol

I was too, but it was not as hard as I imagined. I just cut a hole in the corner of a feed sack for their head to pop out of and tied them up tight in the bag so they could not move. The comb is actually pretty tough to cut through, It's like cutting through a thick piece of leather. You have to kind of snip your way through it little by little and not try to cut it all at once. The comb is actually the easiest to determine where to cut, it's the ears and the wattles that are hard because it looks like your skinning their whole neck. I thought I went way to far when I was done and that they would die, but they healed up surprisingly fast. I just sprayed them down with Blu-Kote wound spray when I was done after they stopped bleeding. That was it. The one thing I am sure of is that these birds will not get frostbite next winter. Maybe I should do all my breeds. Wonder what a dubbed french copper maran would look like? LOL!

If It looks like u slit their throat u cut too much off. Cut at the feather line and not pulling down just enough tension for a smooth cut on wattles. Then front to back across the beak then cut straight up from the back then cut the top off from the back. All single sharp cuts. I wouldn't recommend the slow chopping through method. The quicker u are the quicker for the bird.

Last edited:
I was too, but it was not as hard as I imagined.  I just cut a hole in the corner of a feed sack for their head to pop out of and tied them up tight in the bag so they could not move.  The comb is actually pretty tough to cut through,  It's like cutting through a thick piece of leather.  You have to kind of snip your way through it little by little and not try to cut it all at once. The comb is actually the easiest to determine where to cut, it's the ears and the wattles that are hard because it looks like your skinning their whole neck.  I thought I went way to far when I was done and that they would die, but they healed up surprisingly fast.  I just sprayed them down with Blu-Kote wound spray when I was done after they stopped bleeding.  That was it.  The one thing I am sure of is that these birds will not get frostbite next winter.  Maybe I should do all my breeds. Wonder what a dubbed french copper maran would look like? LOL!  
When I use to dubbed I would do it during cool weather (60° to 80 °) washed their heads gently with soft sponge to cooldown their heads, to coagulate as much as possible the blood and avoid to much bleeding, comb will be the last because is the one that bleed the most, add dry coffee right after each dubbed this will help stop bleed and heal much faster. They sell the scissors at ebay like for $6 dlrs. Thats cheap i used to buy them for $25. I will look for them to post them here for u guys. Can do each dubbed at once and fast. Hope this help.

anyone here tried using these type of scissors before? Theyre pretty sharp
Its what i used for my first time by myself a couple weeks back and they cut through pretty easily and fast
And i used a gallon water bottle and just cut out enough from the top for the head and cut the bottom to put the bird through

Before and after of water bottle that i used
The duct tape where the head goes through was just cuz i felt the freshly cut edge felt a little sharp and i didnt want him to cut/hurt his neck with it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom