Show Off Your Games!

Crosses hatching

20200508_125742.jpg
20200508_125944.jpg
got them blues black eyes.

Doing a nest thing. Hen with chicks will be imprinted on nest. Then we will play around with moving nest to different locations so chicks will roost where I want them. Trying to keep them out of trees and off dog kennels. I have been using grit and crushed oyster shell as bedding, but the store bought stuff is prettier.
IMG_2020-05-10_17-20-39.jpeg
IMG_2020-05-10_17-20-53.jpeg
IMG_2020-05-10_17-22-01.jpeg
IMG_2020-05-10_17-22-16.jpeg

Yeah technically theres a drizzle of white hackle. They were an 1/8th when I got him the stag above is his son and those kelso chicks are from his son bred back to his (stags) mom. I tried his father but this year he wasn't fertile. Hes about 7yrs old

7 years is a pretty good run for a brood cock I’ve had a couple make it and one was still producing chicks at 9.

Any of you guys mess with lights to attract night flying insects for penned chicks? I am going to do it with a couple elevated pens to get us ready for Japanese Beetle season that with start after peak of May Beetle season. We appear to be going into a heavy May Beetle season this year. Normally we have multiple May Beetle species that have offset breeding seasons making so birds have serious eats for most of late spring and summer. This year is looking real good.

Had a second week candling session this morning. I think there were maybe 4 that weren’t fertile out of maybe 50 eggs. Glad I did it, one egg was cracked. Stopped that bomb from going off. I set up a new incubator yesterday and it’s holding temp and humidity really well. I’ll set a couple hundred eggs in it this morning.

Back
Top Bottom