Show Off Your Games!

So sad to not be able to own game roosters

N.J. man charged after 200-plus fighting roosters found on farm
By SHRUTI MATHUR DESAI • Gannett/The (Cherry Hill, N.J.) Courier-Post • March 29, 2010

Comments (12) Recommend Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine Twitter FarkIt Type Size A A A MONROE, N.J. — A Cherry Hill man has been arrested and charged with 422 counts of animal cruelty after the New Jersey SPCA uncovered more than 200 fighting roosters on his farm property in Williamstown, N.J.Williamstown.

Julius Caesar Riel, 55, raised the birds in tepee-shaped huts on his property in the 1300 block of Coles Mill Road, along with 129 hens, 11 dogs, three goats and several other animals. The birds were euthanized, along with a goat and eight dogs that were undernourished, according to the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Matt Stanton, spokesman for the NJSPCA, said there is no evidence that Riel was staging fights on the property, but possessing a fighting bird in New Jersey is illegal.

Riel was shipping the birds out of the country to the Philippines, Stanton said, and was part of a network that involves several surrounding states.

Riel was charged Saturday with 200 criminal and civil counts of owning, possessing and training animals with the intent to be used for fighting. He was also charged with 11 counts each of criminal and civil failure to provide sustenance for eight dogs and three goats.

He is being held on $150,000 bail in the Gloucester County Jail in Woodbury.

The case developed from an anonymous tip made three weeks ago, Stanton said, and officers from the NJSPCA's Major Crimes Unit did the investigation and surveillance. Saturday morning's raid was assisted by the Gloucester County Animal Control, Monroe police and the Gloucester County Office of Emergency Management. Stanton said the raid included a veterinarian, who performed the euthanizations.

On Sunday, the gate in front of the ramshackle house was padlocked with a warrant notice lying on the ground. A black car was parked in the dirt driveway.

Several long coops, a few rows of triangular huts and several half-moon shaped coops can be seen from the road. On Sunday, a handful of chickens were in the yard. An occasional rooster crow could be heard from the backyard.

Stanton said the hens left on the property can be sold by the owner or transferred to the NJSPCA.

Stanton said some caretakers were living at the property but were not charged as part of the case.

Rooster fighting is more common in urban areas, Stanton said, but the organization deals with about four cases of rooster breeding a year.

Quote:
Hm.. Interesting information. If it is against the law, i would say not much that can be done. I would say he "could" and "should" protest against them killing the birds if it isn't, but about it. One thing i can't help but wonder though is this part - "The birds were euthanized, along with a goat and eight dogs that were undernourished." I know that they typically throw the "Gamefowl will attack anything, they're vicious birds and unadoptable" around. But what was wrong with the dogs and goat? Undernourished, but I know from personal experience you can fix that... Either way, since i have noticed a increase in news involving gamefowl on this thread, I just want to ask people to please try and keep it civil when discussing it.. Don't want BYC closing the thread and all.

-Daniel.

Last edited:
did you have a decent hatch rate with the incubator? I need to purchase both additional accesories to hopefully have a better hatch rate. I used to have this incubator many years ago and it never worked well I'm hoping maybe I'll have better luck this time around.
roll.png

Quote:
Dude to be honest that things is worthless it ruined 11 of my spanish/kelso eggs! i decided to ge rid of it after the first try and i had a fan a turner! The Temps are way to un stable. i just ordered a hovabator with preset temps. and temp controlers that dont allow it to raise! so i expect to have better luck! i openes all the eggs after 28 days and only 4 of the 11 had developed to about the 2nd week.. other then that it was all hard yolk! Dont Waste youre money and time and valuble eggs!

That's funny I remember the same darn experience when I was opening the eggs to see if they even developed. I might end up returning it if I don't have any luck after the next 22 days. I'll definitly let you know how it goes.

Quote:
Should only take 21 days for them to hatch. I've noticed that my hens seem to spend a day or two kinda on and off the nest before they actually commit to setting. I usually count the first day as the day after they spend the night on the nest. So hopefully you'll have some chicks in the next day or so. If she hasn't hatched by the 25th day you might have to take her off the nest. I had to take a nest from one of mine in December.

Good Luck!
fl.gif

chief thanks!!! i came home and went to see my birds and guess what???? i heard chirping!!! i saw at least on peep!!!! and i heard chirping!!! omg i am so excited!!! how much longer??

Back
Top Bottom