Show Off Your Games!

Bout what I figgered, but hard as I been tryin to get a few games I think I'll trade em if I part with any.

guys and galls i really need some help here! my stags are acting reall mean with me! any chance they get and they are attaching my hand whene i go to feed them! what do i do how can i tame them? i have tried handeling them feeding them out of my hand but it seems they dont trust me what do i do?

Quote:
Have you changed anything about their accommodations lately? I have found that most game stags do best if approached from above, if it is in their face or approaching from below eye level it can trigger their tough guy response?

Quote:
how old are they ? are they penned alone or with hens? if they are penned alone they may just need a hen to calm them down if they are already with hens they may see you as a threat to there hens , or they could just be man fighters

Quote:
I began taming large wild parrots 30 years ago and they can do some serious damage, so no barnyard poultry seems threatening to me. Whether it's birds or the dogs you see on the show The Dog Whisperer, it's basically the same concept. There is a pecking order and there is a pack leader.

I would just hold the rooster until he realizes that you and not he, are in charge.
Grab his legs with one hand and tuck him under your other arm. Release the legs and cover his head and eyes for awhile.
Try turning him upside down. He'll likely go into a trance. Keep stroking him and speaking softly to him.
When you finally let him go he may not be tame but he's less likely to want another confrontation with you.

They are penned with a hen each! ive tried showing them who daddy is but it just seems to make things worst.... one is a 14 month old perry hatch round head and the other is a 2.5 yr old spanish/ kelso

How big are your pens? Are they big enough for you to walk in and move around with the bird? I've had a few get real human aggressive in small pens that I couldn't get in there with them. I moved them to big pens then would throw some food on the ground before I stepped in.(as a distraction so they aren't just thinking about me) Then spent a few days just hanging out in there with them for about 10 minutes at a time. I just squat down against the wall and sit still talking to them, never even reaching for them. After a few days I will then do the same routine but pick them up and hold em. Sometimes it helps to gently "pet" their ear feathers with your thumb and forefinger. Just gentle hands and soft voice. I think that sometimes people tend to only handle their stags to work on them. Dubbing, force feeding them a wormer tablet, trimming spurs, moving from pen to pen ect.. After a while they start to associate a man with less than fun treatment. Most of my birds are full of attitude and kick their wings at me, and make a lot of noise, even peck at me a little. But rarely ever try to put a shuffle on me. And calm right down once I pick them up. Most are perfectly relaxed perched on my hand.

In other cases they are just spiteful and end up as man-fighters. Usually, as soon as I can I replace them if they get that way.

Quote:
well the pens are a good size, well atleast i think, they are 4x4 and 6 ft upwaards. i can fit in there but these guys are going all out on me im taking about as if i was another stag ive tried approching them with food in my hand and as soon as they eat it they attach my hand at full force! I can fit in there but i dont think its enough space to hang out in there or is it? what are you;re pens like? any other suggestions?

Just to add in a little more- I don't know about your cocks but I know a few of my birds are starting to molt now due to the heat. During the molting process they get kind of sore, and I have found it to trigger them to be aggressive or a little nutty due to not wanting to be touched. I have had roosters that were like babies turn into complete demons once they begin molting, but then gentle back down afterwards unless you have done something to upset them during that time. Is it possible this could be your reason too? This is one reason a lot of the old timers will tell ya to handle them as little as possible during this time..

-Daniel

Last edited:
game roosters with hens during the breeding season(which is now) will usually react in the way you are describing , best not to make the problem worse by handling in this situation . The only way i know of taming a rooster is keeping him in a cockhouse and handling three are more times a day putting him in a fly pen some during the day for short periods , working with him on a table while handling , even the wose will come around eventually .

Plus like some said do not handle while moulting .

Back
Top Bottom