Show Off Your Games!

Okay, another house in question from a newcomer to games. Is it possible to keep one rooster with three hens? I imagined having two of these groups of four penned up separately. I thought this would be okay, until I read Chief's post.

Right now, the birds are three weeks old, so I have some time if I need to rearrange the housing situation.

I have a combination of black roundheads, Brown Reds, and four crosses.

pride&joy :

Thank you every one, yes I am getting to the breeding pens for my games as we speak. I have two trios and one pair of the older Shamos, that could turn on any minute or as my Grandfather would say once it rains on them and they don’t recognize each other.

Yes Pop I have an older cock in there actually there are several including a huge white giant and older SLW that for now rule the pen. But I know any day the games could turn on and those barn yard cocks are in deep trouble. I still have some PH American games to grow out as well as some Cuban games that I managed to acquire locally (pit birds).

I admire games and love to have representations of each cultures version of the same thing, beautiful , powerful and game.

Ish

Your grandfather knew what he was talking about, it`s a fact. I`ve had battle royals after a rain and then it`s a scramble to seperate all of them. I wouldn`t sell those barnyard cocks short. They all think they are tougher than they are and run a really good bluff on younger stags for quite a while. You are gonna need a huge number of pens in short order though. I did the same thing one year after I aquired some PR fowl. I had 10 hens setting on 10 eggs each (actual count). Had about 50 stags growing rapidly and nowhere near as many pens. I was a pen building fool for weeks. Only took one time to learn a lesson, heh, heh. Good luck to ya.......Pop​

Quote:
I was looking for some eggs on ebay and the seller had 20+ chicks ranging from 1-3 weeks. I ended up taking the lot, of course the seller mentioned they where high quality and sent me pics of the parent stock (that I posted here, but could not find the post just now to reference it?). I think the parent stock was a barred cock and one blk hen and one BBR hen.

My other shamos come from some one named Brian Williams out of NY, and of coarse they mentioned that theirs where fine birds and they had been working that line for 20+ years? I don’t mean to sound sarcastic when I mention the sellers as both sets of bird and eggs turned out nicely. It is just that I am unfamiliar with Shamos so I would not be so confident in judging good from por?

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though you could not have more than one hen with a rooster. As long as they have enough space, and the hens get along well there should be no problem housing them together. As long as all the pullets are sisters. If the hens are unrelated you will have a very hard time determining the offspring's lineage.
Typically, my birds seem to hatch a lot more stags than pullets. So I don't have extra pullets to put with the stags once separated. And I only breed certain male birds that have all the qualities I'm looking to pass on. The young pairs are only together to keep each other company while they grow up.
Personally I like to single mate in pairs so that I can document accurately which pairs are producing the best offspring. In groups I've had hens share nests, adopt others chicks and so on. I mark all the chicks very early so as they develop, I know who their parents were when they are grown. It saves me time and money since that way I don't make the same mistakes twice.

Have you posted any pics of your games? If not, lets see them.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Nice birds !
clap.gif
I am new to the game fowl lingo when you say Spanish do you mean Caribbean = PR + Cuba+ ect, or do you mean Spanish as in Spain? Just curious as to what the correct term would be for some of the local birds here in South Florida with a very strong Latin influence?
old.gif
Also about how much does that red assil hen weigh? I have a bunch of young white assils no idea how big they will get. Looks like smaller than the shamos for sure.

Ish

pride&joy :

Ok this question has probably been asked and answered before, but what should I feed the birds in my grow out pen mostly a few extra barn yard roosters and some young games?

I don`t know what others are feeding, but I feed Purina Starter til they are 2 months, then it`s Purina Game Bird Blend from then on. Been doing it for years with great results. No fat and a big strong breast. Blend is 14% protein which is about right. Orientals should not have a high protein diet as they grow too fast. I had a Mong point out to me that they feed mostly rice in Asian countries and the birds were developed and maintained on low protein feed. Higher than 14%-16% ain`t good for them.
In So FL, most all the birds of Spanish blood are from Cuban (shorter legs) or Puerto Rican (longer legs) stock. They are all reffered to as "Spanish", until you start talking to a Hispanic cocker, who will call them by other names, commonly taken from breeders of a bloodline. Same thing with most any gamefowl. In Asils, names were originally taken from towns or regions where they were bred. Now, at least in the US, it`s the breeder, original importer, or somebodies whim. Get yourself that book by Horst Schmudde called "Oriental Gamefowl". Even though Horst is a premedonna, his book is the best available today. I think you can get it from Amazon. Don`t know of anything good in print for Spanish Games, but hang out at the feed store and talk to some Hispanic cockers. If you can convince them you aren`t a cop and win their trust, they are a world of information on the Spanish fowl. Good luck.......Pop​

Last edited:
Those are some great pictures.

Here is a picture of my three-week-olds. They are mostly black roundheads and brown reds, with a few that are mixes that include lemon blue Hennie, Sid Taylor, Kelso, and Aseel.
12125_027.jpg

One of the Hennies was attacked by the flock. I don't really know why they rejected it. They are only three weeks old and there have hardly been any fights, but this one was nearly killed. We have nursed it back to health, but we're afraid to reintroduce it. Can't see anything visibly wrong with it. Good size, moves around well, although it occasionally seems to freak out and run around like it's crazy. Maybe that's what set everyone else off. This is my first time owning Gamefowl, so I have a lot to learn. Here's its picture, taken before the attack (now it has a big scar and its face and it's back and wing-bows are all torn up):
12125_018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom