Show Off Your Games!

Quote:
Agreed. I think Egghead is exploring availabilty at this time. The gameness attribute also not considered but like with most folks, a flock that is large enough in terms of genetics and numbers to sustain itself may not be goal. He / she simply is after a small flock to observe. I doubt Egghead has time to digest the significance of lines (as based on breeder / developer name) and will come across that confusing issue shortly.

Beyond that, some game strains are better than others when it comes to the transition to "dunghill" mode even when gameness is controlled for. The core of what I have is very good at feral living even with light predator pressure but we did have other lines, usually kept for crossing into main line, that were not very good about surviving. Examples of why I think some lines are not so good for feral living are: hens pick poor locations to nest, poor roost sites chosen, hens not good at brooding small chicks when grass high and wet, failure to respond to predators (fox, coyote, dog) by prompt flight high enough into tree, inability to fly well enough, and my favorite is problems with frostbite when forage quality poor. Some game strains also may not be as resistant to local parasites. I am having all kinds of trouble with cocci and large roundworms since moving most of what I have from Indiana to Missouri. We never treated for either in Indiana yet my birds are having serious problems in Missouri. I am gonna have to get some new blood for slow and careful introduction in a manner that will not swamp my genetics.

I raise OEG bantams.

103534_anne_cletus_1.jpg

Cletus and Anne

103534_2011-08-09_01-20-24_724.jpg

Claudia

103534_2011-08-14_10-44-33_255.jpg

Iggy mach II

103534_2011-08-09_01-19-48_791.jpg

Red (half Black Breasted OEG, half black silkie)

103534_bantam_cockerel_9.jpg

Garrett

103534_2011-08-08_15-04-47_55.jpg

And last, but certainly not least, Rosa. (Not too sure on her breed, but im willing to bet theres some game in her.)

RIP sam (black breasted red OEG stag)

Quote:
It's a shame about your male. They are such personable birds. Some of mine are naked necked and some aren't. My stock came from eggs imported from Madagascar and looked as if those had been crossed with some meat birds. So I crossed some with Shamos. Though some are 7/8s Madagascar, I'd consider them to be Madagascars.

BrIk90QBGkKGrHqQH-C4EvEkTV8mfBLyb7e.jpg

Quote:
hi. thanks for the response. i don't have any hens now, but hopefully with my next clutch, i will. ideally, they would hatch and raise their own in the future. but, to start, i need eggs or day olds (prefer eggs). i cannot get older birds.

i do not have a preference in color (except no whites). i'm not sure what you mean by 'type'. and i'd like them to be big - - big enough to do well free ranging (i worry about those small birds). i'd also prefer them to be good layers of medium to large eggs. does that help?

which brings me to another question - - and this may be the wrong place to ask - - how do you collect eggs from chickens who free range? i can't imagine hunting for eggs every day. that seems...over the top. but maybe i'm wrong? maybe you do have to hunt for them?

eggdd (Egghead),

Your options may best be defined by where you are located and what exists in your area. Why do you need to start with eggs?

No game strains to my knowledge lay large numbers of eggs and eggs tend to medium sized. Individual hens we used to have in hen house we think would lay over 100 eggs in a year but eggs had to be collected daily. In a free range setting, game hens are prone to find alternative nesting sites if eggs come up missing, and then they get broody.

If you supply nest boxes, at least some of the hens will there.

Quote:
It's a shame about your male. They are such personable birds. Some of mine are naked necked and some aren't. My stock came from eggs imported from Madagascar and looked as if those had been crossed with some meat birds. So I crossed some with Shamos. Though some are 7/8s Madagascar, I'd consider them to be Madagascars.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/lone_traveler/TWH/BrIk90QBGkKGrHqQH-C4EvEkTV8mfBLyb7e.jpg

Yeah I really like the one i had , even though I only had him for a short period of time

cuban longtail:

i'm not really concerned with your concerns. nor will i address them. i asked a question on an internet forum. you either have an answer, or not. thanks.

Centrarchid:

your thread has nothing to do with my interest in game birds. however, i do think your thread is interesting - - manly due to the running commentary. and i do not have anyone "in my area" raising game birds that I know of. most of my chickens have come from elsewhere. i have little choice.

isn't it funny how you ask one simple question: does anyone have hatching eggs - - and people feel the need to NOT answer the question, but address it anyway.

we're laughing over here.
smile.png

Quote:
Not eveyone likes to ship hatching eggs. Hatch is highly variable which can make recipients unhappy. All my transactions involving games from outside family were with adult or nearly so birds and many others may do same. For many folks, games are lot more valuable than the ornamental and production breeds, in part because so much more goes into their upkeep. You can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars or more for a trio. Legal restrictions can also apply when state borders crossed for shipping eggs and chicks. I know no one in my area that raises games birds although I now they exist. If you indicate your location, then such a party might come out of woodwork. If you offend, then likely they will not.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not eveyone likes to ship hatching eggs. Hatch is highly variable which can make recipients unhappy. All my transactions involving games from outside family were with adult or nearly so birds and many others may do same. For many folks, games are lot more valuable than the ornamental and production breeds, in part because so much more goes into their upkeep. You can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars or more for a trio. Legal restrictions can also apply when state borders crossed for shipping eggs and chicks. I know no one in my area that raises games birds although I now they exist. If you indicate your location, then such a party might come out of woodwork. If you offend, then likely they will not.

me offend? thanks for the info. i'm aware.

to anyone reading this thread: if you have eggs available for hatching, let me know. no bantams. let's stay focused.

eggdd , try Feathersite, under chickens - gamefowl. They list various websites under breed listings . I recall one who has Americans in the midwest thst sells eggs. i think it's Fowlafoot but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom