Show Off Your Games!

wow, nice work Illia. So this confirms your talents are many. Not just fowl genetic wizard but also very talented artist
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif
Would love to see more paintings if you have them, also any Spanish games? Again great painting thank you for sharing

Very beautiful painting Illia, You have got some real talent there.
He reminds me of one the stags I posted on here with the exception mine was undubbed. But he had the same kind of tail(missing the top two longest tail feathers). Typical of stag not yet fully feathered or a bird in molt. A little bit of white fluff at the base of the tail would have really set him off. But he's definitely amazing for sure. Here's the photo I was talking about...

Last edited:
First off, I like the painting, excellent work. As for the description of the fowl, I feel you are a bit off on a few things generally speaking. The bird you painted, is definitely a stag's body type. What you have to remember though, is every line varies some in type, even if it is the same strain, so I wouldn't pigeonhole yourself too much with specifics. What I can tell you that a "quality" American game will have certain traits that tend to translate amongst strains. Some of the more important things are the station of the bird, the shank length, length and width of the back, and the keel size. American birds don't typically have a prominent brow, unless they have a fair amount of Oriental blood in them as a rule. A bird in proper shape will always hold it's wings tight to the body, and when alert they will point almost straight down, covering the shanks. When the length of the back is correct, the wings will appear proportionate as well, and the tail will hang at the proper angle. Most hatch tend to be fairly wide and deep keeled birds, and do have an Oriental influence, which does show up in the head by the pea comb, and larger than normal brow which you commented on. They also tend to get full hackles when mature too, which makes them look a bit bigger on top compared to some other strains. The tail of a mature bird would have the sickles much larger, covering the feathers underneath almost completely. Good spurs will not be small, they will be thick and straight with a slight curl to them, and the closer to the foot the better. Something else that is very important as well is a good cock will stand with it's weight on it's toes, instead of flat footed, with it's prop toes never touching the ground. I think your painting is pretty accurate for a stag for sure, and I'm not trying to pick it apart by any means, I am just trying to explain the body structure better based on the observations you have made in your post is all. ;) BTW Leipers are considered Hatch fowl. This is all just my personal opinion as well. You ever paint any monkey birds? I am also curious, is this oil base, or water based paint? I would love to see more of your paintings too, you definitely have a lot talent!

Thanks all!

It's Acrylic, but I use water often to get a smoother consistency with the paint.

Don't hesitate though to "pick at," it's how I'll learn.
smile.png
I'll post more work probably tomorrow or something. I'm just so hesitant to upload any more now, seeing how poorly the color comes out. Gonna see if I can possibly fix that for future works.

ETA - Are you asking/referring to Golden Monkey games?

Last edited:
Completely agreed on the Orientals. Even today's works to me just are too "fine of specimens," they are lacking the detail and gameiness to show the true hard feathering, muscling, etc. The old stuff like that one just make everything a bit too extreme. I'm working on a Ga Noi Don hen and a "Shikra" Aseel, although honestly I don't know if that is an actual bloodline or just the color, all I know is that most tend to look about the same and carry the dun gene as well as a little bit of patterning. There are many types of Asi(ee)l I'm used to but some that come up I've little knowledge on, such as Java and Lakha.

The nice OG works I have seen though are Asils, especially for club representations.

OMG!!! That painting is so real looking!!! I loved it, please post more, I will try to get some good pics of my Toppies for you, some are molting but will see what I can get. Also do you sell prints of your painings!! How much to paint a special request? Thanks, Lynn in Okla.

Ok lets see if this works and I have figured out how to cut and paste some pics of some of my Toppies

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/album/6130153/id/4535344/sort/display_order

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/album/6130153/id/4535328/sort/display_order

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/album/6130153/id/4535421/sort/display_order

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/album/6130153/id/4535065/sort/display_order

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/album/6130153/id/4535053/sort/display_order

Pics are in order of newest taken to oldest taken, notice how the topknot is disapearing as this Spangled Toppy Cock gets older! Strange! Anyone have an explanation on that? I know I have lost a lot of my topknot with age too but just curious if anyone know anything about this? Lynn

Back
Top Bottom