Show off your house ducks!

I cannot even conceive of having a flock indoors! WHY would anyone want to be living with salmonella-infested excrement piles? "Oh they're just so cute!" Sorry, ever hear of loving without touching? What is this perverse need to touch/hold anything that you love?
OK, I do understand that expressing love in a tactile fashion is easy for most people. But it is also a great way to infect your hands and arms. Wherever the flock is living indoors--you've now lost a room, since it is unfit for human habitation.
I dearly love my ducks. I also dearly love to see them outside in their "home," or roaming around the house during the day. They are great bug eaters, too. Sometimes they hide, which is one of ducks' talents. But when it is time to be put in, they always come when I call them. I feel that ducks provide a pastoral feeling, since they are such gentle creatures (let's not count drakes in the summer).
Of course everyone can do whatever they like, and I am not trying to direct anyone--merely expressing my opinion. Best of luck to all of you, who enjoy keeping your ducks inside. More power to you.View attachment 1114225 View attachment 1114223
My duck lives in my room. I keep her healthy and vetted. I haven't gotten sick yet and it's highly unlikely I ever will. She's healthy, I'm healthy. Better yet, she's a single duck and 100% perfectly ok with it. She thinks she's a human and does just about everything with me. She prefers to just be with the humans instead of other ducks. My duck strives from my love and affection and would be upset if she ever had to share it. She makes a wonderful emotional support animal. So if you asked me, I'd say she's my bestfriend because she helps me get through my daily tasks without experiencing anxiety and it keeps her happy to always be with me. Different reasons and different opinions but it what works for the owner and the flock (or duck itself!)

My duck lives in my room. I keep her healthy and vetted. I haven't gotten sick yet and it's highly unlikely I ever will. She's healthy, I'm healthy. Better yet, she's a single duck and 100% perfectly ok with it. She thinks she's a human and does just about everything with me. She prefers to just be with the humans instead of other ducks. My duck strives from my love and affection and would be upset if she ever had to share it. She makes a wonderful emotional support animal. So if you asked me, I'd say she's my bestfriend because she helps me get through my daily tasks without experiencing anxiety and it keeps her happy to always be with me. Different reasons and different opinions but it what works for the owner and the flock (or duck itself!)
I don't have my ducks anymore as I rehomed them and my wonderful friend has had them years longer than I have now. But when I did, during the day they roamed outside and at night they had they home in the basement. (No not dark and dreary, it was awesome) When my female duck passed away, my drake was losing his mind. An anonymous donor on BYC got me a duck diaper for him and he came inside with me, my husband, and my 2 yr old daughter. Plus, I was pregnant at the time. I have a pic of him sitting on my couch. No one got sick, I didn't let poop lay around everywhere. Duck diaper when he roamed the house, and besides that he was spaced off in a room where I had pet pads down to easily clean up his mess and every day I cleaned the floor under the pet pads so my house never smelled fresher. The only reason I rehomed him was bc I got anothe female and by that time he was in mating mode, winter was coming. The baby was due, I couldn't take a newborn downstairs with me 3 times a day to clean up duck mess. Plus they changed the laws for my township and the jerky cop was making everyone get rid of their ducks/chickens. I still keep in contact regularly with my friend who has them (Yes I met her on here and she's one of my closest friends to date) I miss them and I still love them. And I see nothing wrong with keeping them in the house if they are properly cared for.

I don't have my ducks anymore as I rehomed them and my wonderful friend has had them years longer than I have now. But when I did, during the day they roamed outside and at night they had they home in the basement. (No not dark and dreary, it was awesome) When my female duck passed away, my drake was losing his mind. An anonymous donor on BYC got me a duck diaper for him and he came inside with me, my husband, and my 2 yr old daughter. Plus, I was pregnant at the time. I have a pic of him sitting on my couch. No one got sick, I didn't let poop lay around everywhere. Duck diaper when he roamed the house, and besides that he was spaced off in a room where I had pet pads down to easily clean up his mess and every day I cleaned the floor under the pet pads so my house never smelled fresher. The only reason I rehomed him was bc I got anothe female and by that time he was in mating mode, winter was coming. The baby was due, I couldn't take a newborn downstairs with me 3 times a day to clean up duck mess. Plus they changed the laws for my township and the jerky cop was making everyone get rid of their ducks/chickens. I still keep in contact regularly with my friend who has them (Yes I met her on here and she's one of my closest friends to date) I miss them and I still love them. And I see nothing wrong with keeping them in the house if they are properly cared for.

Yes!! That's the key to it, keeping the pen clean. Everyone looks at me like I'm an animal when I say my duck lives inside with me but then they come see her pen and realized an indoor pen is kept much cleaner on the floor than a regular outdoor coop! Everyone say's well doesn't it smell? My answer: Well if I would let it...........! So sad your laws changed and everyone had to give up their flocks!! That would break my heart! I grew up in a small urban town and lot's of neighbors had a small coop. 1 neighbor had a whole barn though they made into a coop and painted across it "Wicked Chickens Lay Deviled Eggs"

Back
Top Bottom