Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Pics
We're getting an egg every day from both of our hens - and the roo is pretty active with them. I'm learning how to candle and I may hatch some out soon. How long should I collect the eggs before I absolutely have to incubate them? I don't know if these have shorter "neutral" times, so I'm double-checking. I have people interested in chicks and now that they're producing pretty steadily, I'd like to be able to deliver.

you should collect them for a week then put them in the incubator

i started collecting OEGB last summer. here are a few pictures of my birds.

b.b. red

blue

brassy blue

lemon blue

quail

wheaten

i have several others, didn't want to take up all the space.

black, white, brassy back, cuckoo, creole, spangle, fawn, fawn red, self blue (lavender), and red pyle. (i think that's all of em)

i started collecting OEGB last summer. here are a few pictures of my birds. b.b. red blue brassy blue lemon blue quail wheaten i have several others, didn't want to take up all the space. black, white, brassy back, cuckoo, creole, spangle, fawn, fawn red, self blue (lavender), and red pyle. (i think that's all of em)
I really like the wheaten hen! She is probably my favorite. As for the BBRs they are nice to. With the blues I would want dark lacing which is hard to get. The other 2 roosters should get dubbed and they look really nice. Finally the quails the male is molting and I can't really see the female but the coloring looks good! Nice group of OE you are collecting

We purchased these little ones at a feed store, I was told they were hatchery chicks. I will be there tommorow and try to find out which hatchery they order from, or if they carry a mix of breeder and hatchery chicks. All of the bantams are kept together they do not sort in any way according to breed, age or anything. We picked ours with no knowledge of breed beforehand (some were cuter than others, those are the ones we chose) I now wish I would have been better prepared. I have been trying to figure out what these little guys are since we got them.
I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP! I have one more little guy I could use advice on ,

THESE ARE ALL PICS OF THE SAME BIRD
From the 1st post of this bird, I have thought it was gorgeous! I LOVE that coloring, and have a few like that. Is that what they refer to as "self blue", and what does self blue mean? I have 2 hens like this, one a bit darker than the other, and love both blue/grey and lacing in birds. THAT lil bird would have a welcome spot in my flock, ANY day!

I have a few questions about bantam hatching: I put 38 eggs in the 'bator, and Wednesday was 1st hatching day. 27 of the eggs are various bantams, OEGB and Sebrights. The remainder are from my mixes of EE Roos and hens from Barred Game, White Amie, and Red Amie. Wednesday, the Gamey egg hatched out at 9:30 am, as expected (Gamey is my ALPHA Hen and broody mama, so there is the pun of expectation of hersa being the 1st and meanest), and all Standards (but 2) had hatched as of Thursday evening. NOTHING from any of the Bantams, tho. I have yet to hatch a Bantam egg from 5 attempts in the 'Bator, and none of my Bantams have gone broody, and none of the broody hens have done so with a Bantam egg under them. Do Standards reject bantam eggs? Do Bantam eggs require a different temperature or length of time for hatching? I am at a loss, here. I just started adding Bantams, last year, so this is my first attempt with them so far as hatching goes. ANY and ALL help appreciated.

From the 1st post of this bird, I have thought it was gorgeous! I LOVE that coloring, and have a few like that. Is that what they refer to as "self blue", and what does self blue mean? I have 2 hens like this, one a bit darker than the other, and love both blue/grey and lacing in birds. THAT lil bird would have a welcome spot in my flock, ANY day!

Self blue means that when you breed two Self Blues together, you only get self blue offspring. If you breed a plain blue, you can get Black, Splash, and Blue.
This chart is using the plain, regular, non-self Blue.
Blue/Black/Splash (BBS)
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black
x Splash = 100% Blue
Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
NOTES - - Black can NEVER parent a Splash Bird, and Splash can NEVER parent a Black Bird.

Here's a self-blue for comparison:

His tail feathers were rather ragged when I took the picture; those have now been replaced with nice, soft, uniform feathers and he is absolutely my favorite boy. He loves to sit on my shoulder and crow at his ladies and the other chickens in the larger pasture across from him.
Due to his awesome self-confidence for being such a little dude - and his "activity" with his ladies - we dubbed him Mr. Fantastic-Boombastic.
gig.gif

So there are blue, self-blue and silver blue oegb right? I found this pic online

Looks a lot like my little one, they even posed for the camera the same ; )
This one was posted as a BLUE OEGB
So mine is a Blue right!
AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THE HELP
SORRY FOR ALL OF THE PICS I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT

Last edited:
So there are blue, self-blue and silver blue oegb right? I found this pic online

Looks a lot like my little one, they even posed for the camera the same ; )
This one was posted as a BLUE OEGB
So mine is a Blue right!
AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THE HELP
SORRY FOR ALL OF THE PICS I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT
YES selfblue are light and have no lacing Blue are dark and have lacing. As for silver blue i have not heard of it and i dont believe it is recognized

i started collecting OEGB last summer. here are a few pictures of my birds. b.b. red blue brassy blue lemon blue quail wheaten i have several others, didn't want to take up all the space. black, white, brassy back, cuckoo, creole, spangle, fawn, fawn red, self blue (lavender), and red pyle. (i think that's all of em)
. Very nice and no white earlobes which is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom