Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Now that she's dry and fluffy, I'm thinking female. Yall agree? :yiipchick

Oh...lol. Sorry, I realized they were pure Legbars. I meant what percentage of Legbars turn out to be the Silvers. (not crosses, poor choice of words on my part) :oops: So yours are completely void of color? Flash has a tint of yellow on the white. But he's completely different than the half cross; both as a chick and an adult. The half Crele/half SDW look like a Duckwing with muted bars on the dark and the white, essentially a barred Duckwing. They're black and white.
I get about 25% silver. Some have more color than others, but I have a 1 year old roo that has very little. He's the lightest so far. I do have Legbar crosses, working on olive eggers.

Hi I want to pop in.
@WVduckchick are OEGBs like Sexlinks????Like, you can tell M from F by color???

Not technically sexlinks, but I guess where the males and females are so strikingly different as adults, they have different appearances at hatch also. These are silver duckwing, by the way. Not every OEGB looks this way.

Someone else can chime in with a better explanation, but that's my take.

Not technically sexlinks, but I guess where the males and females are so strikingly different as adults, they have different appearances at hatch also. These are silver duckwing, by the way. Not every OEGB looks this way.

Someone else can chime in with a better explanation, but that's my take.

I think that's a good explanation. Duckwings in general can be sexed like this with a fair amount of success when you've watched enough of them grow up.

Creles are sex-linked to some degree.

Quote: Lol...I had to laugh to myself when I read what you wrote because I couldn't tell the females from the males in my first chicks until the females started squatting. I look back now and it's so apparent to me which chicks are male and which chicks are female...I almost want to slap myself. I'm still learning about the other types of oegb chicks from what everyone's saying, I don't have an eye for them because I haven't raised those types.

But I agree with you and WVduckchick...once you've raised the SDW and Crele and can see the differences...it's much easier.

Off topic from the oegbs...what are you using on the Legbars for olive? Are you using Marans?

Lol...I had to laugh to myself when I read what you wrote because I couldn't tell the females from the males in my first chicks until the females started squatting. I look back now and it's so apparent to me which chicks are male and which chicks are female...I almost want to slap myself.  I'm still learning about the other types of oegb chicks from what everyone's saying, I don't have an eye for them because I haven't raised those types.

But I agree with you and WVduckchick...once you've raised the SDW and Crele and can see the differences...it's much easier. 

Off topic from the oegbs...what are you using on the Legbars for olive? Are you using Marans?

I'm using BCM and Welsummers (a cross that makes a spotted sage green egg), but some of my first crosses used turkens.

I guessed BCM, they seem to be the popular choice from what I've read on here so far. Welsummers would produce a spectacularly lovely egg as well. Thank you for that information.

I don't have much expertise on the subject. I've ended up with two olive egg producing pullets for this year...although I'm not exactly certain how...lol. I have a rooster who's an olive egger that I'll be using this year. To me he color looks like a BCM...he's a hybrid from the lady I purchased the hatching eggs from. I'm learning on the fly...lol.

Lol...I had to laugh to myself when I read what you wrote because I couldn't tell the females from the males in my first chicks until the females started squatting. I look back now and it's so apparent to me which chicks are male and which chicks are female...I almost want to slap myself. I'm still learning about the other types of oegb chicks from what everyone's saying, I don't have an eye for them because I haven't raised those types.

But I agree with you and WVduckchick...once you've raised the SDW and Crele and can see the differences...it's much easier.

My first OEGB hatch was all SDW's, but I had a light burn out their first weekend, and only 3 survived (2 males, of course! lol). I couldn't find more SDWs at the time, and a friend had some mixed-color OEGB hens, so I got them from her. And another friend gave me 2 SDW hens. So my next several hatches were my SDW male over all the girls. The chicks all looked different! Once I got enough SDW's, I stopped hatching the mixed ones. That's when it became easy for me to tell the difference.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom