Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Lol...I had to laugh to myself when I read what you wrote because I couldn't tell the females from the males in my first chicks until the females started squatting. I look back now and it's so apparent to me which chicks are male and which chicks are female...I almost want to slap myself.  I'm still learning about the other types of oegb chicks from what everyone's saying, I don't have an eye for them because I haven't raised those types.

But I agree with you and WVduckchick...once you've raised the SDW and Crele and can see the differences...it's much easier. 

Off topic from the oegbs...what are you using on the Legbars for olive? Are you using Marans?

My first OEGB hatch was all SDW's, but I had a light burn out their first weekend, and only 3 survived (2 males, of course! lol).  I couldn't find more SDWs at the time, and a friend had some mixed-color OEGB hens, so I got them from her. And another friend gave me 2 SDW hens.  So my next several hatches were my SDW male over all the girls.  The chicks all looked different!  Once I got enough SDW's, I stopped hatching the mixed ones.  That's when it became easy for me to tell the difference. :D  

I bet you had a lot of cute, fluffy surprise chicks! :love

I'm amazed at all the colors oegbs come in. I have my limited experience with the Creles and SDWs but I know absolutely nothing about the rest...lol.

Little Crele is a week old. Someone who's raised them care to comment Re: sex at this point?

I bet you had a lot of cute, fluffy surprise chicks! :love

I'm amazed at all the colors oegbs come in. I have my limited experience with the Creles and SDWs but I know absolutely nothing about the rest...lol.

I didn't realize there were so many varieties until I got the mixed ones. Trying to figure out their roots was enlightening! Lol

Little Crele is a week old. Someone who's raised them care to comment Re: sex at this point?

Never raised Creles, but can i comment and say its adorable! :lol:

Fwiw, face looks masculine to me.

Here are four that I know must be Crele because of the barring. One had down a completely different color so I was uncertain about it until the barring came in. Two have pretty good combs starting already.

I have eight wild type chicks but at this point they all still look relatively the same, no obvious barring that I saw, so they're still a guessing game.

Any ideas on these two? Looking at the down drawings of Ideal's, the only ones that look close are black tailed buff, but I have another that is obviously that and these have a lot of black coming in.

Here is another similar to them but with a darker more defined head marking

I think by the wing pattern and the lack of defined eye liner that it'll be a male. It's the wing pattern that stands out mostly to me. It was the first thing that showed up for my little guys. Cant' wait to see the chick develop!
love.gif
I have a greater appreciation and understanding now than I did when I got my first birds.

I find when a person sees their birds everyday, it makes it harder to see changes...at least for me. I think that's one of the reasons I take so many pics. Well, that and the fact I'd forget a lot otherwise...lol.

Here are four that I know must be Crele because of the barring. One had down a completely different color so I was uncertain about it until the barring came in. Two have pretty good combs starting already.

I have eight wild type chicks but at this point they all still look relatively the same, no obvious barring that I saw, so they're still a guessing game.

Any ideas on these two? Looking at the down drawings of Ideal's, the only ones that look close are black tailed buff, but I have another that is obviously that and these have a lot of black coming in.

Here is another similar to them but with a darker more defined head marking

At this point the first group look like they may be Crele. Time will tell for sure. The rest I don't know enough to comment. I'm loving the light chick in the bottom picture.
love.gif
Can't wait to see them all develop...but especially that one!

Hi! Just got a bunch of Bantys from a mix bin at tractor supply and have been told most of them are OEG!

Any tips on how to tell color or sex would be great! Thanks!
I don't think I know enough to accurately tell. They aren't fitting the parameters of what I know. They may be a color I'm not familiar with....perhaps someone else will know more.

I do know that it's some serious cuteness overload!!
love.gif
I'm getting chick fever just looking at all the cute chicks that have been posted lately.
th.gif

At this point the first group look like they may be Crele. Time will tell for sure. The rest I don't know enough to comment. I'm loving the light chick in the bottom picture.
love.gif
Can't wait to see them all develop...but especially that one!

I did specifically order 5 creles, but like a dummy I didn't mark the chicks from one shipment (5 crele and 5 spangled from Cackle) before mixing them with the OEGB assortment shipment from Ideal. I wonder if that bottom left Crele is actually from Ideal because it's a totally different color! I have a long wait ahead of me so I better find room for all of these guys because I can't bear to part with any yet lol

Quote: The lovely thing about oegbs is that they don't take up much room.
wink.png

Lol...then I guess there are 5 Creles. Is there different colors in the spangled? I've only seen the ones posted the other day. If spangled start off like the chicks posted earlier (the red) then I'd say those are your Creles.

For some reason the chick to the far left of the ones you think are Creles looks different to me. It may just be me though.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom