Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

What a difference a week makes. These 2 hatched 7 days apart.

These 2 are 7 days apart also, but the bigger one hatched today! The smaller, more developed one hatched last weekend, but it was the only OEGB to hatch with a bunch of lavender Orpingtons. The LOs have towered over it all week. I put some 3-week old seramas in with them, as one of the seramas was tiny too, but I think the little sdw was not getting as much feed. Now it has some new OEGB friends, so I hope it blossoms this week. :fl

A day off and some extra lovely weather has ended with my feathered-out babies trying their new digs! Still a few final touches to complete, but 80 degrees, gobs of sunshine, and birds flying out of their brooder, I knew it was time... They grow up so fast!
hit.gif

More pics tomorrow. I think the OEGs were the most thrilled to be out of my office :)

These 2 are 7 days apart also, but the bigger one hatched today! The smaller, more developed one hatched last weekend, but it was the only OEGB to hatch with a bunch of lavender Orpingtons. The LOs have towered over it all week. I put some 3-week old seramas in with them, as one of the seramas was tiny too, but I think the little sdw was not getting as much feed. Now it has some new OEGB friends, so I hope it blossoms this week. :fl

Woke up to find the week old SDW dead this morning. Noticed the vent was clogged with white stuff last night, cleaned her up. She had seemed fine for the first week, but maybe I just didn't notice how small she actually was, because the lavender chicks were so much bigger. :(

Woke up to find the week old SDW dead this morning. Noticed the vent was clogged with white stuff last night, cleaned her up. She had seemed fine for the first week, but maybe I just didn't notice how small she actually was, because the lavender chicks were so much bigger. :(

It's hard for OEGB chicks, especially small ones, to compete with bigger chicks for food, water, hot spots. I contemplated moving my little Crele out from the Bielefelders he's been with for a week, but he wasn't having it. He kept chirping loudly trying to find them. Fortunately he's a big, healthy chick at this point. I'll have to keep an eye on him as the other chicks grow.

It was funny, as the ones were hatching this weekend, I was cleaning brooders and moving chicks around. Moved the bigger chicks, and left the little SDW alone for a few minutes and she went nuts. Moved her on over with the big chicks, and she seemed happy, but still looked so tiny and was getting ran all over. So when I got the new ones out of the incubator, I gave them a couple hours, then moved the little week-old girl back over with the new ones. She huddled right up with them, didn't seem to be a problem. I thought they would all do well together. So her quick decline was quite surprising to me. I suppose the emotional effect could have caused the physical reaction. I feel like it was my fault, although I know it probably wasn't.

This was some of them, middle of last week, at just a couple of days old.
The yellow-ish chick in the center is a serama at about 3-1/2 weeks old.

It was funny, as the ones were hatching this weekend, I was cleaning brooders and moving chicks around. Moved the bigger chicks, and left the little SDW alone for a few minutes and she went nuts. Moved her on over with the big chicks, and she seemed happy, but still looked so tiny and was getting ran all over. So when I got the new ones out of the incubator, I gave them a couple hours, then moved the little week-old girl back over with the new ones. She huddled right up with them, didn't seem to be a problem. I thought they would all do well together. So her quick decline was quite surprising to me. I suppose the emotional effect could have caused the physical reaction. I feel like it was my fault, although I know it probably wasn't. This was some of them, middle of last week, at just a couple of days old. The yellow-ish chick in the center is a serama at about 3-1/2 weeks old.
Some are just not going to make it. Truth be told, it's better for your flock if they don't.

Hi again! I was trying to figure out what kind of bird the black and gold one is. Someone on a different thread thought OEG but I was finally able to get a picnext too another Bantam for size comparison. What do you guys think? I dont really think they look like the OEG that I've looked up.

Back
Top Bottom