Show off your small or cheap made coop

This is my chicken coop that is small and cheap. The chickens use both the greenhouse a lot like a coop during the day. The coop is 4'x4' and is over 15 years old. Originally it was a dog house then a turkey house. It was here when my parents moved here.

Above is the inside of our green house, the chickens have access to the garden and green house from the first good freeze until early or mid March. They'll spend most of their day here or under some boards in their run.

This is their coop, the nest boxes were added a few years ago.

THis is the out side of the green house.

A few years ago we rearranged the chickens' run while we built some new pheasant pens. We also raised the house up onto 6"x6" boards. We originally did that to keep mice from living there, but the chickens got under and hid nests, so I blocked it off.

(above and below) Due to a recent predator attack, I made a new chicken door that is easy to close. This is the latch to hold it open. I made it out of scrap wood and a nail.

Over the last few weeks I've been working to plug holes in the coop. Around the door I put some foam to seal it.

This is the new door tat I made. It tood a few peoces of scrap wood and about an hour to make and install.

(Above and Below) The human door is very warped so I moved the original latch and built another to get it to close better.

Does a larger coop count? It's 8'x12'.. and we spent about $500 (needed some lumber for framing & of course the screws.) My husband used to do construction.

My husband reclaimed most of the wood & posts from our 150+ year old dairy barn that is falling down, found old hinges buried in the mud (my husband cleaned them up, straightened them & painted them), windows were free (we have a bunch from remodeling jobs and they were to be thrown out), left over insulation & hardboard, roosts are felled saplings, we found a spool of piano hinge (used for the front face of the nest boxes.. so they flip down to clean out easy), even the paint & caulk was leftovers we found buried in the garage (course it's all splatter painted now...) the fencing was also all leftovers, the roofing we got off of craigslist for $20.

This is part of the old dairy barn.. 150+ years old and trees from the property were milled to build it.

Only thing I don't have a pic of is the feeder.. I found this metal holder.. I think it was for displaying/hanging clothes? It has round knobs at the top and it angles down. Anyways, works really well for us as we can adjust how high/low the feeder hangs.

Metal garbage bin holds their food & scratch... the "brooder box".. which holds straw & shavings atm as my hens have no urge for motherhood.
The roost is hinged w/ hooks on the ceiling so it can be lifted up for cleaning.

We adjusted it so the bottom of the roost now sits on 2 cinder blocks. We got the spacing wrong... like really wrong.. So everyone on the 2nd level got pooped on.

Not quite finished yet, but after I talk the wife into letting my put the automatic waterers in total cost should be less than 30 bucks.

This is my cheap chook house. It was made from pallets and scrap wood with some roofing materials. The paint was leftover from other projects. Screws, nails, and staples were all on hand along with some donated hinges and about 5 feet of the hardware cloth. 4 cement blocks make up the foundation. 20 feet of hardware cloth and another set of hinges were purchased by family members with the promise of future eggs . I purchased another 10 feet of hardware cloth for $12.

This is my $20 set up. Coop was free from a friend. Picked up the chicken wire free as well. I bought some 2x4's and screws.

Since then I've taken it all apart and am going with a more open air run because it's just too hot here in Phoenix. Even at night it's still over 100 degrees. I didn't want to build a better looking set up because we're just renting.

I built these two A frame tractors a couple of weeks ago to house growers and broodies. I got 4 pallets from an agri-store and a big 10' by 5' sheet of coriboard from a shop for free. I got two houses from them and the only cost was €7 for some screws.

This one is about 8' by 3.5' one the ground and about 3.5' tall at the top. I didn't bother put in a floor in the enclosed end. It is currently housing 8 cockerels for fattening. It has a swing up door on one of the open sides and a sliding door on the enclosed end.

This is slightly smaller, about 5' long and 3' wide on the ground and around 3.5' tall. This one doesn't have a door to the open run area, but I am going to ad one because they are very convenient. This one does have a taught 1" chicken wire floor and the enclosed end is more sheltered to give the broodies more security. It is currently housing a broody and her chicks.

Neither of them are what I would consider pretty but they are cheap and functional. Both of them take about 20 seconds to move to fresh grass every day.

Here's the DIY mess I came up with on the fly. This was my first time using power tools and lumber. Everything together was under $150 including paint, hardware, fence, and gate. Since taking this photo (it was their first time in there) I have added taller fencing (using PVC pipe to extend the posts and make a quasi roof for shade), several roosts, natural logs, additional feeder and waterer, and a shiny toy mirror they love to look at :) The coop is minimum size for 3 hens, 12 ft. Square plus nest box, but the run is huge for them, about 100 ft. Square. We have very mild winters but it rains a lot so I'm going to add a waterproof roof on the run soon - it is a 10x10' outdoor canopy that I salvaged. Our house and trees shield them well from high winds and blowing rain. They love dust bathing under the coop when it rains or is too hot. It's a perfect little sanctuary under there.

Back
Top Bottom