Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
The only problem I have found in this entire thread is that there are WAYYYY to many wonderful ideas!! I'm thinking I need oodles of hens to use sooo many of them! LOL
ya.gif

Lots of great ideas and I especially like those that re-cycle other items for use as nests. Saw several ideas to steal can't wait to get my husband to make some boxes for me.

I'm really interested in the Rubbermaid tote idea since they are easy to remove to clean and can be replaced one at a time as needed. What size have you been using and are they set on their bottoms or tipped up so the opening in the top becomes the front?

Quote:
The dish tubs I'm going to use wouldn't be deep enough to set them on their sides so we're going to use them set on their bottoms. I'm going to make a ledge the same height as the tub so we don't have to cut the front out. I think they're about 6" tall so the nest box itself will be about 18" tall so the opening is big enough.

I am using 3 large stationary nests on the bottom and then I have 3 of the movable nests from TSC on the top row. I did that so when I have a broody sitting on eggs and I want to relocate her, I can just pick up the whole nest (if she is on the top row) and move it to another location without making her change nests.

I am using 2 large stationary nests on the bottom and then I have 3 of the movable nests from TSC on the top row. I did that so when I have a broody sitting on eggs and I want to relocate her, I can just pick up the whole nest (if she is on the top row) and move it to another location without making her change nests.

Ive been haunting this post for a couple of weeks now. I just have been looking at all the wonderful ideas and want to now say "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!" Due to your inventive ideas my girls (one of which at 3 years old has never really had a nesting box - Just the floor of a doghouse lined with hay - I now have 6 nesting boxes!!! I went to a thrift store I saw while driving and purchased a short shelving unit (brightly coloured one too LOL) that has 6 perfect cubby holes! I think Im going to get 6 small cat liter boxes to put in each cubby for easy clean up. I would not have ever had this idea if I didnt see the neat Ideas yall have had! Once I get the supplies to finish it up tonight I will post pictures
smile.png
My girls will be excited they have a place to nest once they start laying again (stupid heat!)

Update: Added pictures!
smile.png

299346_10150276297661478_501426477_8365697_5371230_n.jpg

319423_10150276297476478_501426477_8365696_5249443_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom