Show us your nest boxes! Ingenous design post it here!

Pics
I cant post a picture, but I had a friend who worked in the audio dept at Walmart and he saved me the boxes where the speakers are mounted on the lfloor I mounted it on the wall and had 8 nest boxes with perfectly round holes in front.

Here's a compact roll-away nest box I designed. I was looking for something a little more compact than the standard rollout nest box. So I took some inspiration from @Spudd dud and his front rollout design. I flipped it around and modified it so that I could access the eggs from outside the coop. The first pic shows the design with the door closed. The ramp on the left is attached to the door. The second pic shows the door open. I will cover the ramps with some neoprene foam or similar to cushion the eggs.

This concept is still on the drawing board as I haven't started coop construction yet (fingers crossed for this weekend). I also need to wait until Sept or so until the chicks start laying, but will do some testing with store bought eggs first.

Here's a compact roll-away nest box I designed. I was looking for something a little more compact than the standard rollout nest box. So I took some inspiration from @Spudd dud and his front rollout design. I flipped it around and modified it so that I could access the eggs from outside the coop. The first pic shows the design with the door closed. The ramp on the left is attached to the door. The second pic shows the door open. I will cover the ramps with some neoprene foam or similar to cushion the eggs.

This concept is still on the drawing board as I haven't started coop construction yet (fingers crossed for this weekend). I also need to wait until Sept or so until the chicks start laying, but will do some testing with store bought eggs first.

Looks good.
Is that a cad model?
You should start a new thread on this to update as you go along.
I would love to follow along...and see some dimensions.

I drew i
Looks good.
Is that a cad model?
You should start a new thread on this to update as you go along.
I would love to follow along...and see some dimensions.

I'm drawing the coop in SketchUp. I'll try and post progress on my coop as I'm working in some other "innovations" in a small footprint coop.

I drew i
Quote: Cool.....seriously, start your own build thread :D
I'm a long time cad designer.....love to see someone think things thru before building.
I spent months drawing my coop in cad before building.....easier to fix mistakes on the screen than in wood.

Cool.....seriously, start your own build thread :D
I'm a long time cad designer.....love to see someone think things thru before building.
I spent months drawing my coop in cad before building.....easier to fix mistakes on the screen than in wood.

Thanks for the extra push. I'm the same way. Gotta love the built in board stretcher!!!

Thanks for the extra push. I'm the same way. Gotta love the built in board stretcher!!!
another 'computer planner' here! I used sketchup to lay out and build my coop and run. aart is a tremendous help! will make suggestions maybe you didn't see or from she's learned from experience, helped me a lot when I was building my latest coop, that's for sure!

I do agree that you should do a build thread and keep it updated, you will get lots of followers, I know I did when I did mine earlier this year! good luck, and keep us posted!

oh, love the design on the nests, I am really curious to see how that works out

These are mine

Here is my roll out box designed by fellow member Opa.
[/IMG] My girls haven't used them yet but they are starting to squat, so it won't be long now. I have fake eggs in place trying to teach em where to go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom