Showgirl breeding and colouring

Mystorygamer

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Could someone please tell me
does the turken or the silkie determine the colour of the showgirl i.e. can i use any colour of turken hen to breed with white cockerel and get a white showgirl. thanks in advance

Could someone please tell me
does the turken or the silkie determine the colour of the showgirl i.e. can i use any colour of turken hen to breed with white cockerel and get a white showgirl. thanks in advance

Both parents affect the color of the chick.
Sometimes the genes work out right for the chick to match one parent or the other, sometimes it doesn't match either one.

There are several genes, or combinations of genes, that can cause a chicken to be white. I don't know which ones are present in your particular chickens, so I can't predict what crosses will produce what chick colors.

Of course, you can try it and see what you get.

If you cross a turken with a silkie, you should get naked neck chicks that have normal-looking feathers. If you cross them back to the silkie, you should get some with silkie feathers, and some of those should also have naked necks. And if the silkie was the white parent, at least some of the chicks from that backcross should also be white.

Both parents affect the color of the chick.
Sometimes the genes work out right for the chick to match one parent or the other, sometimes it doesn't match either one.

There are several genes, or combinations of genes, that can cause a chicken to be white. I don't know which ones are present in your particular chickens, so I can't predict what crosses will produce what chick colors.

Of course, you can try it and see what you get.

If you cross a turken with a silkie, you should get naked neck chicks that have normal-looking feathers. If you cross them back to the silkie, you should get some with silkie feathers, and some of those should also have naked necks. And if the silkie was the white parent, at least some of the chicks from that backcross should also be white.

thankyou for that it has helped tremendously regards

Back
Top Bottom