Shrink wrap bags for processed poultry

chickens friend

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
Southwest virginia
Does anyone know where I can get shrink wrap bags for processing poultry. I want the bags that you place the bird in then seal it with a tie or some kind of clip, then dunk it into hot water and it shrinks around the bird. Thanks,

I bought bags from Cornerstone, but have had trouble using them successfully. Since we just have a few birds I didn't buy the stapler and staples and tied the bag. I used the correct sized bags. I think I followed the instructions pretty closely, but it took longer than the instructions noted for the air to exit and the bags to shrink and several of the bags broke open near the birds' "leg bones" or the wing tips popped through. I ended up using two bags (and this is after discarding the ones that popped, so three?) on each bird which is a little expensive. If anyone has found a way around these problems, please let us all know.

I like the look of the bags, but we will probably be keeping our birds in coolers while they are waiting to be sold and I'm not sure that would be a good idea with those bags since they say not to put them back in water after you wrap and label them.

I've used the Cornerstone bags successfully for a few years. Another farmer near me does nearly 1000 birds a year and uses their bags without issue as well. I bought the stapler and while it's not easy to use, it is effective when used properly.

I also tied bags along with testing other closures. There wasn't any discernible difference other than overall time it took to close the bags. They sell hog rings and pliers at lots of farm stores also. As to the other problems, practice makes perfect......
tongue.png

Use a thermometer to check your water temp and make sure it's where it's supposed to be. I found piercing the breast to work better for me, but my pot was wider/shallower so the birds went horizontal vs legs up. The hole needed to be bigger than I initially thought. The perfect size for me was one puncture with a utility knife (those little ones that sell for like 4/$1). I used a potato masher to submerge the birds. Hold the end with one hand, lower the bird into the water, submerge breast up with potato masher, pull back up and out.

Now don't ask how many it took for me to get it down.
hide.gif

Potterwatch - I don't know of any stick-on labels that will survive well after soaking in ice water. The ones I got from Cornerstone look like the ones on fresh meat packages from the store and has places for writing in/typing in - product/weight/price per lb/package date/sell by date.

When I'm processing, my DH has this big Coleman cooler thing that plugs in and heats or cools depending on how you plug it in and it acts like a portable fridge. It has a vehicle plug too. Something like that with reusable ice packs would probably work well, be less messy and eventually save over buying ice. It would also work for portable refrigerated egg storage. Even a makeshift incubator...don't tell my DH about that though.
wink.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you very much for this link I just ordered some bags from them. I was looking for bags like this, since my 200$ food saver don't have bags big enough for roasters.
ya.gif

bow.gif
bow.gif

Last edited:
Instead of their hog rings, just use the small 4" zip ties. Cheap, no special tools, anybody can handle it.

Get the water boiling. Let it sit for a bit (mine was at about 195 degrees). Place bird in bag head down, legs up, spin, zip tie close to bird, poke a small hole on the lower back or tip of breast, dunk for 5 seconds or less, dry and immediately tape the hole with scotch tape.

Used them a few times, never had an issue.

Check out Uline. They have thousands of containers. Bags, boxes, etc. You name it, they have it. Also have a cheap zip tie gun for closing the bag. It is a food grade bag. individual bags come on a stack. All different sizes based on how big your birds are.

Back
Top Bottom