Shrink wrap bags for processed poultry

We have had luck with making our own shrink wrap bags using a food grade plastic that comes on a roll--we have a machine that crimps the plastic to our chosen width. We also use small lock ties instead of the staples or bands--we like the convenience--they don't melt when boiled and are quick and easy to use. A little side note--if you are bagging FFA or show birds--don't forget to take off the wingbands before you freeze them if you use a microwave oven for defrosting.

We have used this plastic now for a couple of years and have had no spoilage or freezer burn--follow the same airhole method when you boil that you would if you were to buy ready made bags then seal with freezer tape.

We have had luck with making our own shrink wrap bags using a food grade plastic that comes on a roll--we have a machine that crimps the plastic to our chosen width. We also use small lock ties instead of the staples or bands--we like the convenience--they don't melt when boiled and are quick and easy to use. A little side note--if you are bagging FFA or show birds--don't forget to take off the wingbands before you freeze them if you use a microwave oven for defrosting.

We have used this plastic now for a couple of years and have had no spoilage or freezer burn--follow the same airhole method when you boil that you would if you were to buy ready made bags then seal with freezer tape.
Can you tell me more about this? Cornerstone is out of stock on poultry bags in the sizes we'd need. I can find the shrink wrap but how did you crimp/seal it?

I've used the Cornerstone bags successfully for a few years. Another farmer near me does nearly 1000 birds a year and uses their bags without issue as well. I bought the stapler and while it's not easy to use, it is effective when used properly.
The stapler I bought from them is spring loaded, so once you put the staple in it, it grasps it, enabling you to lay it down while you make the pigtail, the pick it up and crimp. I think the spring loaded stapler is fairly new, but it does cost more.

I like the look of the bags, but we will probably be keeping our birds in coolers while they are waiting to be sold and I'm not sure that would be a good idea with those bags since they say not to put them back in water after you wrap and label them.
Perhaps you could put ice in the bottom of the cooler, then put a plastic barrier between the ice and the packaged chicken to prevent directed contact with the ice....and the water from melting. Just a thought.

We processed 162 chickens last weekend - and tried the shrink bags for the first time. After a few "failures" we arrived at the following procedure, which didn't require cutting a hole in the bag.

1) Put bird in bag, legs up.
2) Put vacuum tubing (1/4") inside body cavity, twist top of bag tightly around tubing.
3) Put 4" zip tie around tubing and bag, near legs.
4) Wait ~10 seconds for all air to be pulled out of bag.
5) Pull tubing out while pulling zip tie TIGHT.
6) Dip most of the bag in 200 degree water for an instant, then flip and dip zip tie end.
7) No air in the bag, no hole in the bag, drop into the ice water bath until ready to head to the freezer.

We used a shopvac in the other room necked down to 1/4" tubing for the vacuum. Worked like a champ.

Just got ours from PoultryShrinkBags.com- we got the bags apparently that are intended for whole chickens but for pieces & parts, does anyone recommend something to cover the sharp parts so the bag doesn't puncture? Like that squishy pad that comes under a bunch of breasts when you buy them in the grocery store on the Styrofoam?

Back
Top Bottom