Shut the Duck up! Quiet types of ducks? Anyone?

wickedrabies

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
So. I bought two ducklings in the spring from our not-local T&S Co. I picked a black one and a yellow one. Their names are Kilo and Zulu, because they were straight run ducklings. Well. It's been some months. Zulu is turning into a beautiful mallard drake and Kilo, after finally outgrowing her "ugly" phase, has decided to be a buff duck. They get on great with everything around them. They're respectably timid, and that's fine with me. My partner and I have this joke that the reason Kilo is so loud is she's from New York and Zulu is telling her funny jokes. She is the loudest of my entire flock - she can out-loud my rooster hands down all on her own. We're afraid someone might make a noise complaint about her. I would like to get some quiet ducks, though. Ones that are little more like Zulu's volume.
What are some quieter duck breeds? I was looking at cayuga's, but are they really the quieter duck? I'm not raising for meat, I can't kill anything. But I would harvest the eggs, as I do with my chickens.

My Cayuga is my loudest. She's the boss and let's everyone know. My Welsh Harlequins are the calmest. But they all can be loud when they want something!

The reason Zulu is quieter than Kilo is because he is a drake... all mallard derived ducks can be extremely loud, that is just ducks... for quiet, an all drake flock is an option if eggs are not important... otherwise, *I think* Muscovies are quieter, but they love to roost very high, like rooftop high, lol...

Oh, it's a girl thing to be loud? xD
I clip all my birds wings because my dogs are obnoxious. My flock is behind a tall fence with chicken wire around the wood. I've been told drakes will accidentally kill hens trying to mount. I don't know how true this is, but I'm intending on getting a female pair more to keep Zulu happy. I do go out every day with chilled peas, cooked oatmeal, and mealies for the ducks in an effort to appease Kilo's vocal-ism into quiet-ism. ^^;;
So far, our neighbors have been good sports about my flock. I'll have to walk a little closer to them to judge how bad they are, though. I'll look into the muscovy, though!

Yeah, it's a female thing, lol... only ducks (females) actually full out quack...

And yes, it is correct that a drake can seriously injure or kill a hen if he successfully mates her... their 'plumbing' is completely different... more ducks for him would definitely be good, in the meantime just keep aware of that possibility... some drakes never try to go for a hen, and some find them simply irresistible...

Kilo and Zulu
She has pretty quiet today, and I think it's because it's been a cooler day than usual. Zulu doesn't normally take interest in the chickens, unless they start it first. I'm getting him some ladies this coming month. Maybe a blue and cayuga...?

Back
Top Bottom