Sick 3weeks to 6weeks chicks

If you going to give them Corid chicks HAVE to be OFF the medicate feed. (One neutralizes the other).
Corid is amprolium.
Medicated feed often contains amprolium (same medicine, lower dose.) If amprolium is the medicine in the feed, it will not neutralize the corid. It will just make a slightly higher total dose (not enough higher to be dangerous to the chicks.)

Just check the feed label to be sure of what is in it.

I think you are mixing it up with one of these two common issues:

Vitamin supplements should not be given while dosing with Corid. Corid blocks thiamine (vitamin B1). Giving a supplement with thiamine will make the Corid not work. So do not give vitamin supplements when medicating with Corid.

Medicated feed to prevent coccidiosis should not be used with chicks vaccinated against coccidiosis. The medication will negate the effects of the vaccination. (Vaccines for other diseases like Mareks are not affected.)

Start from the usual suspects and simplest to treat...Corid treats coccidia most common and easiest to treat.
I agree with that. Coccidiosis is common and can cause the symptoms that OP is seeing. Corid is the simple, obvious treatment.

Corid is amprolium.
Medicated feed often contains amprolium (same medicine, lower dose.) If amprolium is the medicine in the feed, it will not neutralize the corid. It will just make a slightly higher total dose (not enough higher to be dangerous to the chicks.)

Vitamin supplements should not be given while dosing with Corid. Corid blocks thiamine (vitamin B1). Giving a supplement with thiamine will make the Corid not work. So do not give vitamin supplements when medicating with Corid.

Medicated feed to prevent coccidiosis should not be used with chicks vaccinated against coccidiosis. The medication will negate the effects of the vaccination. (Vaccines for other diseases like Mareks are not affected.)

I agree with that. Coccidiosis is common and can cause the symptoms that OP is seeing. Corid is the simple, obvious treatment.
Thank you for cleaning after me,😂. I-was little distracted when writing but still … you are far far advanced for me. Tell you a secret 🤫 … I tend to look you up when searching for info on certain things. Thank you for correcting me I do appreciate it.

Ooh, They really look sad. I’m very sorry I can’t help you.

Why? Could you diagnose what is wrong?
@Eggcessive?
They are on Corid. What are their chances? The bloody poop has really increased. I’ve isolated them in groups of sickest order. Anything else I should give them?
Im sorry I can’t diagnose anything I’m not a vet but have chickens for 40 plus years. all I have is years behind me, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t no matter what you do. Start from the usual suspects and simplest to treat. If you going to give them Corid chicks HAVE to be OFF the medicate feed. (One neutralizes the other). Corid treats coccidia most common and easiest to treat. If you have a flock that should be the staple in (chicken) emergency kit . ACV is also helpful . Probiotic mixed with yogurt could help …
thank you for your advice. ACV?? Will try anything

Corid is amprolium.

I am giving only Corid and the medicated feed they have been on. This is probably the dumbest question I’ve asked but if they’ve been on med feed why do they have cocci
Not a dumb question.

Coccidia are little things (protozoa) that cause coccidiosis. There are many different kinds of coccidia. Some infect one kind of animal, some infect another kind of animal, some live in one climate or another.

Animals generally become resistant to the coccidia that live in their area. This takes time, and gradual exposure, so their immune system can build up properly.

The medication in the feed is meant to be at a level that makes coccidia grow slower, without killing them all. That way the chicks can be exposed to a small amount, and start to develop their own resistance.

But sometimes there will be too many coccidia, or they will grow too fast, and the chicks have problems anyway (coccidiosis.) Then you need a stronger dose of medicine, to get the coccidia back down to a level that the chicks can cope with.

Amprolium basically keeps the coccidia from getting enough thiamine. That would explain why it takes a certain amount of time for it to work-- it is not harming the coccidia directly, just blocking something they need (thiamine.)

I only have a limited understand of how amprolium (Corid) works, but if you want more details here is an article that may be helpful:
https://www.huvepharma.com/news/article/efficacy-of-amprolium-re-confirmed/

Coccidia grow better when they have moisture, and less when it is dry. This means they tend to be more of a problem in wet climates than dry ones.

You might want to be extra-careful about keeping the brooder dry: change any damp bedding, prevent spilled water, make sure all chick droppings get removed or dry out quickly. Of course this is harder when the chicks have diarrhea, but keeping things clean and dry will probably make a difference in how many new coccidia are available for the chicks to re-infect themselves with.

Hello,
My girls are on medicated feed and today one of my 3 week Rhode Island was sitting, fell over and died. Tonight my Mille fleur did the same thing but spread out its wings then died. I have a serama, golden Wyandotte 1 month old and a white 6 week old silky doing the same thing.
They sit hunched with puffed out feathers, diarrhea no blood or mucus watery brown or clearish, look at food but don’t eat. Drink water and just stare. What is happening here? Please help. There are 21 others with them in a 14 foot x 7 ft area enclosed and temp regulated which include expensive silkies, Ayam, lavender etc….Clean water..
Still I would treat with Anti-cocci meds but not with corid there’s my own experience besides it
When they started to grow up and eat medicated feed or any solids feed and fruits they get gut infections so it’s important to treat with board spectrum bactericide which will not just discard cocci but also discard any bad bacteria growth

Not a dumb question.

Coccidia are little things (protozoa) that cause coccidiosis. There are many different kinds of coccidia. Some infect one kind of animal, some infect another kind of animal, some live in one climate or another.

Animals generally become resistant to the coccidia that live in their area. This takes time, and gradual exposure, so their immune system can build up properly.

The medication in the feed is meant to be at a level that makes coccidia grow slower, without killing them all. That way the chicks can be exposed to a small amount, and start to develop their own resistance.

But sometimes there will be too many coccidia, or they will grow too fast, and the chicks have problems anyway (coccidiosis.) Then you need a stronger dose of medicine, to get the coccidia back down to a level that the chicks can cope with.

Amprolium basically keeps the coccidia from getting enough thiamine. That would explain why it takes a certain amount of time for it to work-- it is not harming the coccidia directly, just blocking something they need (thiamine.)

I only have a limited understand of how amprolium (Corid) works, but if you want more details here is an article that may be helpful:
https://www.huvepharma.com/news/article/efficacy-of-amprolium-re-confirmed/

Coccidia grow better when they have moisture, and less when it is dry. This means they tend to be more of a problem in wet climates than dry ones.

You might want to be extra-careful about keeping the brooder dry: change any damp bedding, prevent spilled water, make sure all chick droppings get removed or dry out quickly. Of course this is harder when the chicks have diarrhea, but keeping things clean and dry will probably make a difference in how many new coccidia are available for the chicks to re-infect themselves with.
I lost 2 more today and 7 isolated showing symptoms. Am a microbiologist do did a necropsy study with fecal float under a scope and a look at all organs. Couldn’t detect oocysts on slide. Looked all ok internally as to worms etc.. now what?

I lost 2 more today and 7 isolated showing symptoms. Am a microbiologist do did a necropsy study with fecal float under a scope and a look at all organs. Couldn’t detect oocysts on slide. Looked all ok internally as to worms etc.. now what?
I’m so sorry. I’m replying to your post to bump it up and hopefully someone with more experience or knowledge responds. It is devastating watching them perish unable to help.
This is what I give to all my animals (cats ,dogs, chickens, horses…) it’s capsules that I open and mix with food or drink. It works wonders for stomach issues but your description tells me that something more serious is going on .
493B8B60-038E-4216-92D7-8454FBB1E5A8.jpeg

Corid is amprolium.

@NatJ, can you help, please.

Back
Top Bottom