Sick Hen - Lethargic, stands w/ eyes closed

I've been badly overlookin' things in your thread, for which I apologize ...

Primary concern: The respiratory problems may be the result of closin' up the coop more tightly, which dramatically increases humidity in colder weather, and concentrates anything that may become airborne, and further reduces the quality of the air: Dry and cold is far better than wet and warm, provided adjustments to the temperatures are made slowly, so your flock can become acclimated.

Maximize air flow during the daytime, when they're not in the coop -- most folks have a fan they're not usin' for anything else, which could be hung high.

Eliminate any wet conditions, especially if ammonia is being produced from the floor ... clean and disinfect.

And, replacing their water w/ an astringent solution of Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of four teaspoons to each gallon of water (but not galvanized metal containers) will help, as the tannin from the apple reduces the viscosity of mucus, and 'cuts through' the coatings w/in the mouth, throat and intestines, which helps your birds more easily expel the mucus, and all that it contains. This also improves the uptake of vitamins/minerals, and further boosts their immune systems.

Secondary concern: External and internal parasites.

As to the worms? The ACV will help create a more hostile environment for them, and you can immediately add dimetomaceous earth at about 2% by weight to their food. These, alone, will NOT eliminate infestations, but it will most certainly serve to reduce their loads ... you're still gonna have to deworm 'em at some point, but I'd try 'n find a way to shed 'em a few at a time, rather than risking the threat that too many at once presents.

As to the lice/mites? I prefer the chemically manufactured Permethrin w/o any synergist, even over the naturally obtained Permethrum, due to the fact that it breaks down completely w/in a month or so and metabolizes well. It's relatively very safe and most often effective, provided no resistance has developed. It's the most popular active ingredient found w/in lice shampoos that humans use ... figure that should carry considerable weight. Once the infestation is brought under control, coating their roosts and providing a really good, and bone dry, dusting bath (I use wood ashes, DE, and screened clay soil) should be sufficient to prevent reinfestation.

Well, she didn't make it. I did manage to weigh her - she had dropped to about 4.5 pounds (she was a full grown brahma hen, so she should have wieghed 8-9 pounds). I dusted her early today, and found that she was infested with lice when I checked her again later (the dead lice were clearly visible on top of her white feathers). I gave her the worm medicine (1 cc Safeguard suspension) this afternoon. She was really nasty with poop from sitting in one spot for a couple of days, so we wanted to wash her off a bit. We waited until this evening, set her in a dish tub with a couple inches of warm water, and were very gently rinsing her off underneath. She was doing pretty well and was alert and all, but then she just started spazzing and died. I guess the washing was just too much stress in her weakened state. I let her rest for hours between each thing, but she was just too far gone. What I think is that the lice (and possibly worms as well - don't know) weakened her enough that she became sick with some sort of respiratory disease, and it killed her. I will be dusting the rest of the flock tomorrow. Some of them are coughing a bit. Hopefully they will gain strength enough to get well on their own if I get rid of the lice. How often do you all dust your chickens? Do you do it twice a year, when you are worming them? - or more often? Again - thank you all for your concern and your helpful advice.

If you haven't already, you can get a necropsy done. Some states will do it for free, or there is a fee, just depends, but it will give you a lot of information to use in treating the rest of the flock if you need to. If you don't have one done within twenty four hours of death, don't bother. A vet will refer a necropsy for you in many cases.

If you haven't already, you can get a necropsy done.  Some states will do it for free, or there is a fee, just depends, but it will give you a lot of information to use in treating the rest of the flock if you need to.  If you don't have one done within twenty four hours of death, don't bother.  A vet will refer a necropsy for you in many cases.

I've had them die on Friday, then waited until Monday to ship them overnight for necropsy. Some test might not be as accurate, but it's still worth doing the necropsy, IMHO.

Last edited:
Can someone please help me? I'm new on this site, and fairly new with chicken care. I have a favorite rooster who is very sick. It all started about 5 days ago when my husband had a friend bring us some new chicks, don't know how old, but would describe them as probably toddlers (not baby chicks). My rooster is free range, and we put the new chicks in a pen, but about 2 days later I noticed one of the chicks was coughing and standing away from the others, also was wheezing. I isolated her in the shop, in a cage, called the vet and got some tetracycline, started treatment the next day although wasen't sure of the dosage because it was in mg. I mix 1 1/2 tsp to 1 gal. water and gave all the new chicks. 2 days later the isolated chick died in the night. She had been eating well and drinking a lot. She seemed thirsty. She was sneezing and had diharria, runny yellow. Before she died that day, she was gasping breath with mouth open. I had noticed that when they brought the chickens here, that they had a bad smell. They stunk, but I just figured it was because they had been kept in a horse pen. He said he kept a light on them and that he had recently bought them at a sale. (He has lots of chickens.) It started raining the day after he brought them and I thought maybe they had caught a cold from the rainy and cold weather and not being used to being outside. I put a light in their sleeping space, which is enclosed partitally hoping that it would help keep them warm. Then the next day my free range rooster started standing around not lively as usual, and I noticed that he had discharge in his nostril. I put him up in a pen on the porch isolated, as I have other banthams (4) that also free range. None of them are sick so far. I think my favorite rooster got too close to the fence where the new chicks were and caught in the air whatever they have. I still have the other hen in the shop and treating her and all new chicks and the rooster with 2 tsp tetracycline, and 1 capful of Wazine wormer per gal (together) as the guy at the vets office said to do. He is not a vet, but a vet assistant and has chickens of his own that he says he has treated before this way with good results. My rooster is still sick, not coughing as much, but yesterday his eye was matted shut, but was open today and better, he has yellow runny poop, doesn't want to eat or drink, does not seem to be wheezing or sneezing, but coughing and runny nose. At first he had yellow fluid in nose and mouth, but now clear fluid in nose and just lathargic. Please let me know what you think this is. I have sent for some Corid, that I read about on here, but haven't gotten it yet and don't know if I should add it to the mixture I am already making, or quit treating with the mixture and only give the Corid when I get it probably in a couple of days, if he lasts that long. I really love this rooster and I am afraid that the rest of my chickens will get whatever this is, also have 2 African geese, males, had for years, one is pretty old and I'm very worried about them, as they range free with the other banthams. Help please.

Harry Rooster. The new birds introduced a respiratory disease to your flock and it will eventually spread through your flock because you did not quarantine the new birds. You stated that they had a bad smell which leads me to believe that your are possibly dealing with Infectious Coryza or Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) It's also possible you could be dealing with both diseases. Here's a link for you, scroll down and read about Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.) It'll explain what treatments there are. However, I recommend that you cull the sick birds and have a necropsy performed to find out exactly what you're dealing with. You can contact your local extension office or state agriculture department to find out how to go about doing it.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you so much for replying. I have searched all over for days for an answer. I thought that putting the new chickens in a different pen alone was qualified as keeping them seperate from the other chickens. Do they have to be far away from the others? I did not let them have contact, but I was thinking that the rooster might have contacted it airborne through the fence. They don't smell anymore and the rooster that is sick doesn't smell eighter. The chicken that died has been dead too long I'm afraid to send off. It's out in a bag in the burning trash barrel with a lid on it, but hasen't been burned yet. The others are still alive. Could a vet possibily do an examination of the new pooh of the rooster to find out what the problem is? Thanks, Harry Rooster

Thank you so much for replying. I have searched all over for days for an answer. I thought that putting the new chickens in a different pen alone was qualified as keeping them seperate from the other chickens. Do they have to be far away from the others? I did not let them have contact, but I was thinking that the rooster might have contacted it airborne through the fence. They don't smell anymore and the rooster that is sick doesn't smell eighter. The chicken that died has been dead too long I'm afraid to send off. It's out in a bag in the burning trash barrel with a lid on it, but hasen't been burned yet. The others are still alive. Could a vet possibily do an examination of the new pooh of the rooster to find out what the problem is? Thanks, Harry Rooster
A vet could send out blood and stool samples from a living bird.

Back
Top Bottom