Sick Hen - Lethargic, stands w/ eyes closed

Near Selma Alabama. The vet in Selma (who I first called) doesn't know much about chickens, and the other one is several miles away in Centreville AL, he said he would have to send off the dead chicken. I recently had him send off a tumor from our Golden Retreiver after surgery, and it took over a week to get the results back. Don't think I have that much time for the rooster. I'm thinking I need to maybe get some electrolites from the vet or maybe feed store, where I got the Tetracycline, don't know if eighter will have it for chickens but I know the vet in Selma has electrolites I got from them once to treat my ferret. Don't know if it would be the same for chickens. But rooster is not eating or drinking much, I know he must be getting weak or dehydrated, don't even know if I could feed it to him with a dropper or how much. I'm really at a loss. I was going to ask the chicken doctor Peter Brown, I read about on here, but I don't have $25.00 or credit card for an appointment consultation. It is just crazy that the vets around here don't know about chickens when this is prime blackbelt farmland with gardens and farms and chickens and cows ect. ect. everywhere around. After all the reading I've done for the past 2 days and nights, I should be a chicken doctor by now. Have already spent a goodly amount on this already, with meds, and wire to build an isolation cage. I have 3 animals in treatment now, and haven't even started on the hen that has (Bumblefoor? I think, from what I read last night). All my time has been spent on this for several days. I'm getting tired and worried.

Have you tried calling the State agriculture department directly? How far away from them are you? Yes, it will take several days for a necropsy, but this is what you need to concentrate on. It will save you much worry in the end, if the necropsy results give you some direction! Are you noticing them coughing up any blood? We haven't had experience with Coryza, but I do know that the fatality rate is very high when you're dealing with ILT, and there is a smell associated with ILT also. Get rid of the bird that is waiting for disposal if it's more than 24 or 36 hours old. Don't cull anyone just yet. You can buy vitamins/ electrolytes at most feed stores they are cheaper than at the vet. Just a couple of dollars.

I am going through the same problem with my orpington...I have been holding her and trying to syringe electrolytes into her. She keeps her eyes closed most of the time...:eek:(

I'm having problem with my birds. 2days ago, one of them started behaving somehow, stopped eating and drinking and its body seemed a bit swollen like the feathers are up and ruffled and reluctant to walk. D bird died this morning. Now about four birds are having the same problem, closing their eyes, watery dropping which is whitish or yellowish or whitish and green hard faeces. Please whats the problem.

Why not??? Antibiotics kill infectiions, and they help prevent secondary infections!!! When our flock had ILT, that was one thing the State vets told us to do...give them antibiotics to prevent any secondary infections. We were under quarantine and the vet's observation and advice the whole time, as well as that of the ChickenDoctor Peter Brown (first state vet supply).With their help, we were able to save three quarters of our flock, and many we still have today, though that was six years ago. They are NOT carriers. NEVER introduce new birds into an existing flock, without quarantining them for a month first!
Maybe because rebuilding the gut is so hard for humans post antibiotics so how will it be for animals? If it’s your pet go ahead and give it to prolong their life but if it’s an egg bird then just know a sick bird will give you sick eggs. We the people are sick now a days because we eat from sick animals.

Hi, I am try to figure out what can I do for one of my hen, she is lethargic, doesn’t eat, sitting and hiding whole day, today doesn’t even wants to out from the coop, just I saw her drinking water, I need help

Back
Top Bottom