Sick Peahen

If i had as many problems arise as poor Q8 i would have every test there was done on every bird i owned no matter what bred they are.
I think the tests I listed are pretty common and shouldn't be too expensive if blood is sent out.

-Kathy

Wow i would think a vet could get any test they needed done or know where you could get it done.

I just came back from the vet, they don't do the tests, he said there is a place where i can do the test, but that place is too far from me and i can't do it these days, i'm so busy.

I use this chart to help me pick medications:

If no other birds are sick, I don't think it's Coryza.

-Kathy
He also said it's not Coryza, there was another hen sick in their pen and and they both got the same treatment, the other hen is fine now, she just got sick for a week.

@q8peafowl , have you looked inside her mouth?

-Kathy
Yes, also the vet did, he thinks it looks normal, he also told me to continue giving her the antibiotic in the water(the Oxytetracycline). He thinks it just came from the weather and she will be fine after a week of treatment.

If i had as many problems arise as poor Q8 i would have every test there was done on every bird i owned no matter what bred they are.
The problems only start after bringing the new birds, they are many (almost 20), before this all my birds were fine so far. But now most of them looks fine, just this one left.

I will see if can do the tests, but it will not be easy to do here, just like the Necropsy, no matter how much you will pay no one will do a Necropsy for you.

If this same bird recovers and then gets sick again I'd be willing to bet money that it's mycoplasma (CRD), which is often brought on by stress. If it is mycoplasma, she's a carrier for life and can transmit the disease through her eggs.

-Kathy

When you keep bringing in new birds from different sources it is going to happen. I brought in five birds in the last six months and used strict isolation control, treated for worms and cocci, waited about four months before mingling them and everything has been ok. It is a risk that has to be taken head on when introducing new blood to your flock. When you get your greens I hope you do the same.

If this same bird recovers and then gets sick again I'd be willing to bet money that it's mycoplasma (CRD), which is often brought on by stress. If it is mycoplasma, she's a carrier for life and can transmit the disease through her eggs.

-Kathy
She didn't recover, she just gets a little better but i was still seeing she is sick, there are some small dry skin pieces on her face, its the dark spot in this picture:

I could get a better image if you need it.

When you keep bringing in new birds from different sources it is going to happen. I brought in five birds in the last six months and used strict isolation control, treated for worms and cocci, waited about four months before mingling them and everything has been ok. It is a risk that has to be taken head on when introducing new blood to your flock. When you get your greens I hope you do the same.

Couldn't agree more, I have brought in 10 new birds from 5 different places in the last 7 months and we've had no issues. Quarantine, observation, and parasite control are procedures that we live by.

Back
Top Bottom