Sick Peahen

If i had as many problems arise as poor Q8 i would have every test there was done on every bird i owned no matter what bred they are.

When you keep bringing in new birds from different sources it is going to happen. I brought in five birds in the last six months and used strict isolation control, treated for worms and cocci, waited about four months before mingling them and everything has been ok. It is a risk that has to be taken head on when introducing new blood to your flock. When you get your greens I hope you do the same.

@casportpony should remember that I sent her a video of a peachick last year that was doing the very same thing. I have brought her in three times and given her Tylan, Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Baytril, Corid, and Safeguard. after the last round of Baytril I thought she had finally kicked the illness but she has started this again. She eats although she is smaller than the rest of the yearlings, probably around 1500 gm. I brought her into the infirmary during the worst part of winter and kept her under a heat lamp with a chicken for company and she seemed to get better so when it began getting warmer I put her back out with the rest of the yearlings. Now she is doing it again, none of the rest of the peas are showing any of the same symptoms.

When I saw Q8's video I sent a text to my vet and asked about respiratory tract infection and her recommendation was Ketofen. I went into her clinic and she had ready for me five syringes preloaded with 0.04ml. The prescription reads, ' 1 -3 mg-kg IM daily up to 3 days as nsaid for pain and inflammation 14 day meat withdrawal. 0.04ml per syringe 5 syringes. For 1500gm bird. Ketofen injection (LA) given/dispensed (1 ea) exp. 3/16.'

I will bring the peachick into the infirmary tomorrow and start the injections and we will see if this finally does the trick.
Thanks for sharing, hopefully she will get better soon.

If this same bird recovers and then gets sick again I'd be willing to bet money that it's mycoplasma (CRD), which is often brought on by stress. If it is mycoplasma, she's a carrier for life and can transmit the disease through her eggs.

-Kathy

When you keep bringing in new birds from different sources it is going to happen. I brought in five birds in the last six months and used strict isolation control, treated for worms and cocci, waited about four months before mingling them and everything has been ok. It is a risk that has to be taken head on when introducing new blood to your flock. When you get your greens I hope you do the same.

Couldn't agree more, I have brought in 10 new birds from 5 different places in the last 7 months and we've had no issues. Quarantine, observation, and parasite control are procedures that we live by.

Just found this:
Quote:
Problems with using ‘Baytril’
  1. Treating pigeons with ‘Baytril’, even healthy ones, for more than 4 days almost invariably causes a yeast infection (often called ‘thrush’). There are always low numbers of yeasts in the bowels of pigeons. Their numbers are kept in check by the normal ‘good’ bacteria in the bowel. ‘Baytril’ kills many of these. With nothing to keep them in check, the yeasts quickly multiply up leading to the development of green and sometimes watery droppings and potentially a loss of race form.
-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom