Sick Peahen

Is she any better after the Tylan? If she were mine I would do the Tylan orally twice a day for a couple more days.

-Kathy
Well, not sure yet, its still acting the same way, i will bring her home with me so can watch her better.

Was that "gunk" in her choanal slit?

Photo below by BYC's Nambroth.

-Kathy
I will check her again tonight, not sure if i saw the gunk in her choanal slit, i'm sure there was some at the bottom.

When you keep bringing in new birds from different sources it is going to happen. I brought in five birds in the last six months and used strict isolation control, treated for worms and cocci, waited about four months before mingling them and everything has been ok. It is a risk that has to be taken head on when introducing new blood to your flock. When you get your greens I hope you do the same.
I agree and he knows this also but some folks gonna do what they want.
Yes they will be quarantined for a few months.I can not afford to loose my bread and butter birds, that is why i rarely bring new birds onto my place, last time was summer of 2012 ands they were from the same breeder i got my first one from and all were tested threw the Texas animal health commission 1 month pryor to getting the babies, the babies were in rough shape when i got them because there were illnesses in the breeders family and the birds were left in the hands of someone that knew nothing about caring for animals.

The silver and greens i will be bringing home will be my last birds i bring here except for the sebastopol geese next year.

Most of us don't have the luxury of an 'extra' open pen for isolation, if we do we put birds in it and then it's not 'extra' anymore.
he.gif
Then when we find that smokin' deal we overcrowd our birds and start building pens. It is worse than chicken math. This addiction can really mess things up if you can't control yourself.

Most of us don't have the luxury of an 'extra' open pen for isolation, if we do we put birds in it and then it's not 'extra' anymore.
he.gif
Then when we find that smokin' deal we overcrowd our birds and start building pens. It is worse than chicken math. This addiction can really mess things up if you can't control yourself.

Agreed, the only reason I have an isolation pen is because it is a real "Crap" pen.......... no outdoor run and no windows. I'd feel too guilty to house birds in it for more than a few weeks.

he.gif
Yea i understand , impulse is a powerful thing and when that thought of get it now or it will be gone later it can be hard to say no, i just could not do well with stress of illness from not doing the right thing i would feel just awful, i tell myself there will be more i just might have to wait a while to get them.

I bought my first goslings back in 2009 just to see how they would do and see much a predator might cause me a problem, i really wanted the curly geese so bad but figured i would try the least expensive first and it has been 6 years and no losses great hatches and i love geese, i am now ready to start my flock of curly geese and will be selling my Chinese geese to a good home with a pond and security, I will not sell them to just any one they are pest like the peas but very friendly pest.

Was that "gunk" in her choanal slit?

Photo below by BYC's Nambroth.

-Kathy
Here is a video:
0.jpg

Another video of her eye:
0.jpg

You can watch both videos in HD, i just gave another 1.8 ml of Tylan, but honestly she still didn't get any better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom