Sick Peahen

Quote: I've seen it twice, once in a chicken that that I was treating for pox. Her infection was in the mouth, esophagus and crop and she was having trouble breathing from it, so I gave her fluconazole and it cleared up in two days. The other was a peahen, her infection was in the intestines and I was quite surprised when the vet did a gram stain and found yeast. She was treated with ketoconazole and recovered in two weeks. I will try to find some pictures of what both looked like.

In both birds it looked just like a bacterial infection might, just at different ends of the bird if you know what I mean. Neither bird would eat, both were ill looking.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Probably time to see the vet again. Remember that Baytril given too long will likely cause a yeast infection.

-Kathy
I stopped after the third day, i remember someone told me the same and his suggestions was to only treat with Baytril for 3 days, i will try to visit a vet this week, it will be a busy week i hope i can find some time to visit the vet.

Last edited:
Just found this:
Quote:
Problems with using ‘Baytril’
  1. Treating pigeons with ‘Baytril’, even healthy ones, for more than 4 days almost invariably causes a yeast infection (often called ‘thrush’). There are always low numbers of yeasts in the bowels of pigeons. Their numbers are kept in check by the normal ‘good’ bacteria in the bowel. ‘Baytril’ kills many of these. With nothing to keep them in check, the yeasts quickly multiply up leading to the development of green and sometimes watery droppings and potentially a loss of race form.
-Kathy

When my peahen had a yeast infection her poop looked like this:
LL

Note that this poop was from a hen with a bacterial infection, but it the one with yeast looked just like it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
When my peahen had a yeast infection her poop looked like this:
LL

Note that this poop was from a hen with a bacterial infection, but it the one with yeast looked just like it.

-Kathy
I will check my hen poo tomorrow, but i don't remember seeing anything like this.

Okay i know i'm asking a lot, but i have a chick two week old who can't stand on his legs, he will just walk two or three steps then he will sit again, his legs look fine and he doesn't look sick, i read it could be a vitamin deficiency(and i hope its that simple!), just wanted to be more sure.

Okay i know i'm asking a lot, but i have a chick two week old who can't stand on his legs, he will just walk two or three steps then he will sit again, his legs look fine and he doesn't look sick, i read it could be a vitamin deficiency(and i hope its that simple!), just wanted to be more sure.
Is he gaining weight daily?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom