Silkie Cross Breeds

Pics
I have a question for you breeders. If a silkie has black skin, silkie feathering, five toes, but a very small RED comb what are they crossed with? I know silkies standard is a mulberry or almost black comb. So where would the red comb come in? Does that mean they are crossed some where along the lines? I've been trying to find this answer and I can't find it. I bought two silkie babies that ended up with red combs unlike my other black or mulberry combed silkies. They look like a silkie is every other aspect however with the small red comb I suspect a cross breeding along the lines. They are quite lovely except for the red comb. I'm wondering what they were crossed with? They are both buffs. I know it's NOT the standard like my other silkies. Does the red comb confirm my suspicion that they were a cross breed some where along the lines? Thanks for your help.

I have a question for you breeders. If a silkie has black skin, silkie feathering, five toes, but a very small RED comb what are they crossed with? I know silkies standard is a mulberry or almost black comb. So where would the red comb come in? Does that mean they are crossed some where along the lines? I've been trying to find this answer and I can't find it. I bought two silkie babies that ended up with red combs unlike my other black or mulberry combed silkies. They look like a silkie is every other aspect however with the small red comb I suspect a cross breeding along the lines. They are quite lovely except for the red comb. I'm wondering what they were crossed with? They are both buffs. I know it's NOT the standard like my other silkies. Does the red comb confirm my suspicion that they were a cross breed some where along the lines? Thanks for your help.

I have heard of this - I know it's a fault, but I'm not sure whether it always means cross-breeding or whether it can be an issue from breeding/genetics. I saw a picture of a rooster who looked exactly like a Silkie except for what you described - a red comb. My Silkie crosses have both red and mulberry combs.

Oh she is very pretty!♡♡ I love the blue ears on her black feathering! She's adorable!

Thank you! That black hen, "Raven", is 6 years old. I know that birds either have the hookless gene or they don't have it (Silkie feathering), but somehow she seems a lot "fluffier" than other bantams since her dad was a Silkie.

Thank you all for the answers. I'm still unsure if red comb is a result of cross breeding along the way. I understand it's not a silkie standard and a fault I'm just wondering if the fault stems from a cross breeding or is it just a genetic anomaly that can happen from time to time in silkies? I've never had one with a red comb before and these are my first. They are perfect in every other way and have no other anomalies. If they are a product of cross breed id be curious to know. Does any one know where I can find the answer to this question? My question being if a red comb silkie is a genetic anomaly or if it's a result of a cross breed. ? They both are a bit bigger birds than my silkies who are Sq or meet the standard of perfection. I'm just wondering if they actually are cross bread? ? Thanks so much

Hi all I finally found the answer to this question that I was asking about silkies with red combs. I've crossed checked several time and I've gotten the same answers. YES pure bread silkies can have red combs and it IS a anomaly that will pop up from time to time during breeding according to my reasearch. So I guess my silkies are NOT cross bread after all. The two with the red combs it seems Are just a free genetic anomaly. This fault does appear from time to time when breeding. This explains why they still have the black skin, fifth toe, correct feathering, and correct beak color and look like a silkie in every way. It's because they are pure bread silkies with a genetic fault or anomaly. Just wanted to share what I've finally found out. I was under the impression they MUST have been cross bread along the way but I was NOT correct. So silkies that are pure can develop the red comb fault from time to time just a genetic thing.

My silkie x EE babies are now 5 weeks old! We were able to accurately sex them at a week old, because the rooster has yellow tipped toes, more heavily feathers feet, and has grown in his feathers at a faster rate. Normally the hens feather in faster!!

My silkie x EE babies are now 5 weeks old! We were able to accurately sex them at a week old, because the rooster has yellow tipped toes, more heavily feathers feet, and has grown in his feathers at a faster rate. Normally the hens feather in faster!!
I would still keep an eye on them. Silkies and Silkie mixes are notoriously difficult to sex. Don't be surprised if your pullets turn out to be cockerels and vice versa.

I will for sure keep them long enough before I get rid of the rooster. The suspected cockerel has a huge comb already, while the hen hardly has one at all.

Here's my little Wanda, half silkie/half houdan. The Roos were crowing at 4 weeks and she was laying at 4 months.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom