Silkie Experts Help!

It is beautiful, though. I myself enjoy this type of surprise. She is just as good as a pure color. And she can still be used in breeding if that is what you want to do-- you just need to let buyers know the chicks are of mixed colors. Most won't care because Silkies are popular as pets.

Im still happy to have her! Even more so now.. She's so unique! And while I'm saying "she".. Does that look to be right? They are so hard to tell! I was leaning towards female because it is growing at almost half the rate of the blacks (which I'm almost certain are both cockerels) But that's all I've got to go on til I see an egg or hear a crow haha!

Attachments

• 20180811_113609.jpg
    20180811_113609.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180811_113528.jpg
    20180811_113528.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 11
Im still happy to have her! Even more so now.. She's so unique! And while I'm saying "she".. Does that look to be right? They are so hard to tell! I was leaning towards female because it is growing at almost half the rate of the blacks (which I'm almost certain are both cockerels) But that's all I've got to go on til I see an egg or hear a crow haha!
Yeah, I've been calling it a she too without real evidence. The red on the wings could mean cockerel, but the comb is normal for a pullet at 16 weeks. Probably will have to wait until it crows or lays.

Its got to have some Partridge back through it heritage somewhere. Its more red than buff. And isolated in the wings and crest makes me think of partridge genes.

Chicken genetics are so interesting to me!! Especially with silkies.. So much to obtain and learn! Partridge would make more sense.. It is more what I would call red than buff now that you mention!

I wonder if the egg this one came from was from a new hen added recently, that might have been carrying some leftover sperm from the place she came from. I guess it can last up to a week... So they say, anyway. I like surprises like this too!

Well, on-line at least, this most resembles a "red pyle" (blue splash) Partridge... Unfortunately, I couldn't copy/paste any of the pictures, but if you google that, pics will come up. (During the search I fell in love with cuckoo Silkies, who knew that would be so cute).

I too just came across some pictures and forums of cuckoo silkies just yesterday! I had not even considered that there was such a thing! :rolleyes: they certainly are adorable! I will have to look at the red pyle.. Interesting! Someone tagged earlier in this post has another thread looking for splashes with red leakage for a CALICO SILKIE project!!!! They are STUNNING.. Someone needs to get this established!

Wow!!! Mine looks just like a red pyle crossed with a splash! So strange.. I need to see how to go about breeding a red pyle to fully understand this little ones background.. We will probably never truly know :lau

I too just came across some pictures and forums of cuckoo silkies just yesterday! I had not even considered that there was such a thing! :rolleyes: they certainly are adorable! I will have to look at the red pyle.. Interesting! Someone tagged earlier in this post has another thread looking for splashes with red leakage for a CALICO SILKIE project!!!! They are STUNNING.. Someone needs to get this established!
Hey, it could be you!:D

Back
Top Bottom