Silkie Hatch-A-Long 2015

My silkies just hatched! I'm setting 10 more on Monday/Tuesday cus I only got 2 out of 7. But they were shipped. He's a pic of one of my babies!

My one and only silkie egg to develop is zipping now! I'm so excited to see what color it is. My rooster and hens are all blue, but there's a chance that this chick is from the white rooster the hens were with at their previous home...

Here are my 2 new babies! Does anyone know which one will ended up with a bigger crest? Is it the one on the left?

I agree - however, a vaulted skull is also associated with greater risk of brain damage from a peck or bump to the head. That's something to consider.

I agree  - however, a vaulted skull is also associated with greater risk of brain damage from a peck or bump to the head. That's something to consider.

Right! I almost said that myself, but it seems that in the silkie world, it isn't as big of a deal as with other breeds. I do believe they are more fragile, but aside from putting a helmet on them, not much you can do. I keep my silkies...only have a quad...in a seperate enclosure. They are fun to have, make excellent broodies, and even lay a decent amount of eggs. I have a blue silkie sitting on eggs right now.

Right! I almost said that myself, but it seems that in the silkie world, it isn't as big of a deal as with other breeds. I do believe they are more fragile, but aside from putting a helmet on them, not much you can do. I keep my silkies...only have a quad...in a seperate enclosure. They are fun to have, make excellent broodies, and even lay a decent amount of eggs. I have a blue silkie sitting on eggs right now.

Good to know. Thank you both for the info!

Back
Top Bottom