11393635_925158340882206_2930398430484781600_o.jpg

@howfunkyisurchicken

Last edited:
Splash Roo over
Black & blue hens
What should we get from the eggs we've got in the incubator
11393635_925158340882206_2930398430484781600_o.jpg

@howfunkyisurchicken

You'll get blue and splash chicks. Specifically, the ones from the black hens will all be blue and the blue hens' eggs will hatch blue and splash chicks. Good luck with your hatch! Blue silkies are my favorite. :)

You'll get blue and splash chicks. Specifically, the ones from the black hens will all be blue and the blue hens' eggs will hatch blue and splash chicks. Good luck with your hatch! Blue silkies are my favorite. :)
what would be the result if we switched out our splash rooster with a white guy?? Or partridge??

Last edited:
what would be the result if we switched out our splash rooster with a white guy?? Or partridge??

If you switch out your roo to those other colors you mentioned, then you'll just have heinz 57 chicks. If you stick to the blue, black, splash then you'll be able to follow this:

BBS formula

black x blue = 50% black 50%blue
blue x blue = 50% blue 25% black 25% splash
black x splash = 100% blue
blue x splash = 50% blue 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash
black x black = 100% black

If you switch out your roo to those other colors you mentioned, then you'll just have heinz 57 chicks. If you stick to the blue, black, splash then you'll be able to follow this:

BBS formula

black x blue = 50% black 50%blue
blue x blue = 50% blue 25% black 25% splash
black x splash = 100% blue
blue x splash = 50% blue 50% splash
splash x splash = 100% splash
black x black = 100% black

We'll probably get a splash gal and another blue girl
1f467.png
5-6 hens should be a good number for us to have enough chicks for sale or trade or grow out
1f601.png

We have been hatching for two days. All but six eggs of 26 were purchased from Ebay. Silkie bantams. I read reviews and only chose the sellers that had multiple high fertility (ensured high roo count) and hatch rates, and repeat buyers (as well as quality birds). With that said, always a crap shoot. So far 16 (three of our eggs) so 13 from shipped eggs. At aprox 50% hatch for shipped eggs I am thrilled. Incubator varied in temp a bit, had to really stay on top of it. Once up to 102, so was on the fence as to viability. Still waiting another day as we had a power outage for 8 hrs, and a few may be a bit slower. Happy Hatching all! Expecting a second incubator hatch on the 17th as well as saving for the next incubator full. Difficult to get quality birds locally (many great breeders in Michigan, but I am very rural) so decided to try the online shipped eggs. Glad I did, this hatch anyway. So many variables! Good luck all! It is so disheartening to have a hatch fail, but what a feeling when it works. My first hatch on my own. My husband has done it for years.

Some of the babies so far. One is a Porcelain D'Anver. Looking forward to color and gender determination!

Last edited:
My husband is bringing home a white silkie male and female born in Feb 2015. I dont want the male but they had to be sold as a set. I dont want him to be food. Do people eat silkies?

Back
Top Bottom