Silkie Hatch-A-Long 2015

You are right, I was obviously candling wrong. Air cell is in the right place, checked all eggs and they are all wriggling about inside. Not bad for shipped eggs!.

You are right, I was obviously candling wrong. Air cell is in the right place, checked all eggs and they are all wriggling about inside. Not bad for shipped eggs!.

That's great! I'm glad you figured it out because I was really worried about those eggs! Good luck on the hatch! Update when they hatch!

Thanks, and I will, new to this and had afew disappointment's on the way. This is the most promising so far. Just seems to take forever when you're incubating lol.

Was also wondering why when I "quoted" it wasn't appearing on my posts. Think I've sorted it now
1f609.png

Thanks, and I will, new to this and had afew disappointment's on the way. This is the most promising so far. Just seems to take forever when you're incubating lol.

Oh I know, I'm new to incubating & chickens too. I'm in my third incubation now. Nothing beats seeing those little guys pip an egg and then hatch out. Also, I've only done shipped eggs, so I know how challenging they are. It will be lockdown before you know it. What humidity are you running days 1-18?

One of my incubators is a brinsea mini advance and I just follow the instructions (fill half of the little circle in the middle and keep topped up throughout the first 18 days). My other incubator I don't really trust so I just go by eye. Just a little bit of water in the base. Just enough so it almost entirely evaporates over a 3 day period and I top it up a little before it's all gone. Good luck with your hatch ;-)

One of my incubators is a brinsea mini advance and I just follow the instructions (fill half of the little circle in the middle and keep topped up throughout the first 18 days). My other incubator I don't really trust so I just go by eye. Just a little bit of water in the base. Just enough so it almost entirely evaporates over a 3 day period and I top it up a little before it's all gone. Good luck with your hatch ;-)

I'm in NY & it has been raining almost everyday. I bought a cheap little hygrometer to fit in the mini and my humidity has been 40-50 with NO water in the wells. So it really depends where you live and how your ambient humidity is. My hatch was better when humidity was low. I actually took a toothpaste cap and stuck it into one well & filled that with my first hatch. That kept humidity 35% and the chicks hatched good. My last hatch with the humidity being higher, even though I'm not adding water, I had quite a few "sticky" chicks. If you want to know the hygrometer I bought to fit in the mini, just let me know. I believe I got it for under $5 online. I'll post a link if you're interested! Thanks & I hope you have a great hatch too!

FWIW, I don't add any water to my incubator until day 18. My incubator maintains about 30-40% humidity without water. I add water at lockdown and increase humidity to 60-70%. My hatches have been much more successful since I started doing it that way. Your luck may vary depending on the climate where you live. :)

My one little silkie chick continues to grow and thrive. I really want to hatch a few more but the silkie hens went broody and are currently raising some wyandotte chicks. Hopefully we can get the fertility issues sorted out whenever they decide to start laying again. They were sitting on a few silkie eggs in addition to the wyandotte eggs but their eggs never developed...

Hi everyone!

I just set 16 Silkie eggs yesterday! I asked for 10 and got 6 extras!! They are local, so I have high hopes of hatching a little Silkie flock. This breeder has stunning Silkies... I am hoping hoping for lavender, black or showgirl : ) It will be fun to see what hatches in any case.

Back
Top Bottom