Silkie hen crows?

meshelley53

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
Raleigh, nc
This morning I woke up and my mind was blown by my only silkie crowing. I'm pretty sure she was a hen?!? I bought her at a auction and she was listed as female. I've attached a picture. Can this just be a freak thing? Did she crow because she felt in danger? I don't keep roosters, only hens and looking to confirm she is a she and not a he...help please.

Last edited:
looks like a hen to me maybe it was a mistake maybe it was another chicken crowing at the same time she was "talking" my hen looks the same as yours and mine is laying eggs so all I know is the hens don't crow

I'm no expert, but my vote would be that it's a roo. In my flock of silkies it seems that the hens develop more of a 'puffy cotton ball' style of feathers on their heads whereas the roos head feathers appear more erect, tending to poke straight up and out towards their backs...but that might just be mine...Hopefully, you'll get what you wanted!

A good example of what I'm referring to as the roos 'hairstyle' would be the TV character Kramer from the sitcom "Seinfeld" (if anyone's old enough to remember that series). In fact, that's actually who I named my first silkie roo after...but now I'm dating myself...

I'll add this is the first time I've heard a crow and had the silky since April. Also was definitely the silky, I saw it with my own eyes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom