silkie Rooster cross breeding with rhode Island Red?

I am thinking about crossing my splash silkie roo to my rir hen. but for those of you who have done it. Are the offspring early developers like rhode islands making them easy to sex or are they difficult like silkies?

Thank you for describing the characteristics of your Silkie x RIR crosses. I just purchased a Silkie X RIR at a poultry swap yesterday. Hoping it's a pullet! She's very docile with black skin, 5 toes, feathered legs, crest, and a pretty strawberry blonde color. Hoping she lays well with the sweet Silkie personality.

Update: My Silkie x RIR cross turned out to be a hen. :) She is very sweet, a fantastic mother, and a good layer of medium-large brown eggs. Wish I had purchased the other two that were for sale at the time!

Has anyone gone the other route? Crossing a RIR roo with a silkie hen?I have a RIR/ sexlinks mixed roo and two silkie hens and was wondering if it would be OK to put them together?

I realize this an old post, but it is relevant to my current problem. I recently lost all of my hens in a tragic and unfortunate event. They were unable to get away from a wild animal and were not used to the ramp that leads to the safe hen house. :( Anyway, I purchased 3 full grown leghorn hens this weekend and introduced them to my only surviving silky rooster. They fought and pecked him, one feisty lady in particular. I am very disappointed as I was hoping to get him some sweet company since he has been so lonely. He's around 6 months old, so he will still grow a little, but he's a small breed. I am worried they will never get along, and I'm wondering if they ever do if they can mate. Since you stated you had a silky roo who mates larger breeds, I am hoping you have some thoughts on this. I appreciate any help.

With chickens, any introductions of new birds needs to be down slowly. They need a 'get to know you' phase, where they can see each other, but not touch. Gradually increase the time together. Then start to allow supervised interactions in a large run. Only intervene if someone is injured to the point of bleeding. They may always go after him, since he will always be much smaller than the Leghorns. Chickens do tend to pick on what they see as a smaller/weaker chicken.

OK I have the opposite problem, I have three silky hands and I think my German rooster is meeting with them! My poor silky hands! I think I need to separate is it possible? I mean I know it's possible but I guess I just can't even wrap my brain around it

Back
Top Bottom