silkie sexing

I
@Zgm12 Right now I think Starry Night, Black Magic and maybe Jim are pullets. I can't tell if Jim has crazy hair or streamers :) I'm definitely leaning towards pullet tho. Can you get close up comb pictures?

I will post some tomorrow. What do you think about Dream and Mystery? Don't know if this will help, but here is another picture of Jim.

I
I will post some tomorrow. What do you think about Dream and Mystery? Don't know if this will help, but here is another picture of Jim.
I think Dream is a roo and Im leaning that way on Mystery and Jim too, but clear comb shots would really help. Of course they are still to young to say without a doubt. What do you think behavior wise?

Hi,

new guesses please. Still not sure what they are but they are about 15 weeks now so I thought I post some updated pics:

Thanks for letting me know what you think.

Cheers Trish

Hi, new guesses please. Still not sure what they are but they are about 15 weeks now so I thought I post some updated pics: [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Thanks for letting me know what you think. Cheers Trish
I honestly think you might have 2 boys :( I'm so sorry, if I remember right you can't have boys?

Can you get a clear shot of the black ones comb? I think your lighter colored one (maybe a porcelain?) looks like a cockerel but so far black looks like a pullet to me.
The black does not have much of a comb right now, especially compared to the ones I know are cockerels (and are crowing!) I will try at some point, weather is not cooperating now :)

Hi,

new guesses please. Still not sure what they are but they are about 15 weeks now so I thought I post some updated pics:

Thanks for letting me know what you think.

Cheers Trish
The riddle is solved, they both started crowing this morning
sad.png
. They will go back to the hatchery now for their breeding programmas we are not allowed roosters where I live
hit.gif
I will miss them horribly, they were so cute and funny little birds.
Not sure what we are going to do now as we are back to an empty coop. Will they get as tame as these ones if we get them as 'sexed pullets' rather than chicks? I would love to raise them from chick on but am not sure if I could stand to go through this please-dont-let-them-be-roosters thing again...

Cheers for now, I will probably be back with new birds asking for your help at a later stage (we are in the middle of winter here so there is no Silkie chicks around at this time anyhow).

So sad to look at this empty coop
hit.gif

The riddle is solved, they both started crowing this morning
sad.png
. They will go back to the hatchery now for their breeding programmas we are not allowed roosters where I live
hit.gif
I will miss them horribly, they were so cute and funny little birds.
Not sure what we are going to do now as we are back to an empty coop. Will they get as tame as these ones if we get them as 'sexed pullets' rather than chicks? I would love to raise them from chick on but am not sure if I could stand to go through this please-dont-let-them-be-roosters thing again...

Cheers for now, I will probably be back with new birds asking for your help at a later stage (we are in the middle of winter here so there is no Silkie chicks around at this time anyhow).

So sad to look at this empty coop
hit.gif
I vent sexed my silkie as a chick and was correct! (first time too!) I know a lot of people are against this, but as long as your gentle you'll be OK!

I think Dream is a roo and Im leaning that way on Mystery and Jim too, but clear comb shots would really help. Of course they are still to young to say without a doubt. What do you think behavior wise?

Here are the comb shots:
Jim: When he was a chick I thought for sure he was a boy(hence the name Jim), but know I am leaning more towards hen. He is the only non-bearded.

Mystery: I am almost positive he is a rooster. He is one of the sweetest ones in the flock though.

Dream: I was leaning toward hen with her. She is the nicest one, but is also the biggest.

Starry Night: I have recently been thinking hen. For awhile I thought she was a rooster.

Black Magic: I am almost positive she is a girl.

Back
Top Bottom