silkie sexing

This is my silkie Spunky Val(entino). Most of my chickens don't have names but she is the first chick I hatched and has earned a name. I had been thinking Val was a cockerel but this morning I took a good look at her comb, I had to pull her crest back to see it and it is very small and flat, so I'm now hoping for a pullet. I am concerned about her ability to see with her crest coming down over her eyes, I will watch her a while before I decide she needs a trim though, she doesn't seem to be blinded by it just yet. She has only four toes on both feet, but that's fine by me. I have some black silkies that are more correct, they are a big younger and I'm afraid that you will all confirm my suspicions they are cockerels. Anyway, let me know what you think, Val or Valentino?

This is my silkie Spunky Val(entino). Most of my chickens don't have names but she is the first chick I hatched and has earned a name. I had been thinking Val was a cockerel but this morning I took a good look at her comb, I had to pull her crest back to see it and it is very small and flat, so I'm now hoping for a pullet. I am concerned about her ability to see with her crest coming down over her eyes, I will watch her a while before I decide she needs a trim though, she doesn't seem to be blinded by it just yet. She has only four toes on both feet, but that's fine by me. I have some black silkies that are more correct, they are a big younger and I'm afraid that you will all confirm my suspicions they are cockerels. Anyway, let me know what you think, Val or Valentino?

Looks like a girl to me!

Thank you for these pictures- they enlarged well and I got a pretty good look.
If any are males, I would say Carl/Carla might be. The comb is protruding more than the flock-mates, which are definitely females. My guess would be about 70% chance it's a cockerel.
Yellow beak is, I think, female. What color is the skin on her? She seems to have a lighter skin and beak, my yellow beaked and white-skinned pullets usually do have pinkish combs- but my silkies are all black-skinned. The other thing that makes me think female, is that on males, you don't usually have to hold back the "puff" crest in order to see the comb.

The last one that is older, if you are seeing what looks like streamers coming in then it will be apparent pretty soon. I think I see what you are talking about coming in on the crest. I agree it's a tricky one because the comb really isn't huge on that bird.
I just double checked and yes yellow beak does have black skin - she is the most timid of the bunch - possibly because she has the biggest crest which I imagine makes it hard to see. she is the only one of the bunch that has the red/pink comb though. I took this picture at the farm where i got them of one of their parents (I think its dad?)

Any guesses on this silkie, boy or girl? It just hatched!
wee.gif
love.gif
wee.gif

Just kidding, but I am doing the silkie baby happy dance!!!!

Back
Top Bottom