Silkie thread!

Pudding takes the prize for sure. Love that hen.
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I could be wrong but it's my understanding that crosses do not have the ture silkie feathering...there is a thred on here somewhere with some really cool crosses. I have hatchery stock and they are not near as fluffy as the birds you see on here. most of the time you leav the chicks wit the hen, and most hens that have gone broody will not leave the nest without chicks. it takes around 21-22days for chicken eggs to hatch. if you have 3 broody hen, and you let them each have a chick they will do a really good job taking care of the babys. silkies are known for there broodyness, all those hens want to do is lay a few eggs and hatch them out.

go here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=18 and ask about broody silkies and such

hope I've helped

that_crazy_lady thanks for your reply. I had decided that no one was going too help me. My rooster is sure not as fluffy as the silkies on here and I don't think the hens are either. I am trying too get another place for the white silkies so that they can have their babies and keep them also. I have too have help with the coop they are in right now cause I am too short too reach into the cage. I am going too shorten the legs on the coop and then take my wire and build a run for them so that the next time they have babies, they can take care of them. They still have eggs under all 3 of them. I am sure I cannot put some babies back under them since I have been handling them and petting them so much, or can I. They are so tiny still.

How long have the chicks been with out mama hen? 3chickens Aren't your babies growing up? Can we see? You take such cute pictures. Last one I say was Christmas - New Years picture, did some get buy me?

As luvmychicks said in another post, 6 months is probably too young for silkies. Sure, you can take them to a show, but if there are other decent silkies there that are older, they are likely to beat the socks off of your bird.

Silkies are just very slow maturing. 7-8 months is the earliest I would show a silkie. I have a gorgeous splash pullets that just turned 9 months old and am just now considering putting her in the next show.

Just to show the difference that a couple of months makes, the first photo is at 6 months and the second is at 7 months and the third at 8 months. She is 9 months old now and has filled out even more.

9079_suze_2.jpg

9079_051.jpg

9079_044.jpg

Back
Top Bottom