Silkie thread!

Oh, that just stinks! 60% of all the chickens that I've had have been roos! They were are REALLY MEAN!!!
he.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! :) I have had multiple silkies throughout my couple years of chicken raising and I must say compared to other breeds, mine are pretty quiet. Silkies are known for being friendly, so they are good beginning birds and they are quite people and chicken friendly which makes it even easier. Would definitely recommend them, they and Belgian D'uccles are my favorite breeds. Hope I helped!
1f604.png

I have always hatched out more pullets than roos and I have found that my hens have bigger attitudes than the roos. They are usually the ones getting territorial or running around cawing (mostly when being introduced to new birds) I think silkies are quite and excellent birds for breeding and pets, but they aren't your typical heritage breed.

I don't need another broody chicken!

I used to think having a broody Silkie was a death sentence. But after 5 years of letting them brood an empty nest for several days/weeks I just make sure they get off the nest a couple times daily to eat/drink/dust-bathe/exercise before they scurry back to brood their empty box. After their broody period is over they come out to join the rest of the flock all refreshed and ready to do daily chicken things again. I make sure to immediately remove any eggs out of the nestboxes. But Silkies are tenacious broodies. I had one that tried to hatch a cucumber slice!

Back
Top Bottom