Silkie thread!

do the day old chicks that feed stores get in get vaccinated? If not what are the stats on the risks when not vaccinating? and where can I buy the vaccine. I have never got birds from a hatchery before and have never vaccinated before and never had a problem with anything besides coccio. 

Most reputable feed stores will order vaccinated chicks. You can ask them if they do to be certain.

Risks are pretty much entirely dependent on your situation. Some areas have very high rates of Marek's Disease (in my locale, for example, my avian vet has estimated 95% of flocks are infected with the same mild form of it). Some strains are way more aggressive than others - one certain strain might wipe out 9/10 birds in a flock, others might have 10% morbidity and not kill a single bird. The milder strains tend to be more prevalent, thankfully, but that doesn't mean the aggressive ones aren't out there.

Getting non-vaccinated chicks means that they have potential to show symptoms if they are infected or become infected. Vaccines are 95% effective if used properly - "properly" meaning that the vaccinated chicks are kept away from potential infection until 3 weeks of age, as that's the time period required for the vaccine to take full effect. In properly vaccinated birds there is still a 5% failure rate, meaning that 5% of birds, if infected, have the potential to show symptoms and become sickly. Keep in mind that vaccination does NOT prevent the birds from becoming infected with, carrying, or spreading Marek's Disease. If infected, they can still infect other birds. But they won't show symptoms or become sick with it.

There are several farm supply stores were the vaccine can be purchased online. It is rather expensive - last I checked, around $40 for a 1000 dose/non reusable bottle.

Personally I always suggest purchasing vaccinated birds if they are pets, layers, ornamentals, or meat fowl, and buying unvaccinated birds (or hatching and not vaccinating) if they are to be breeders and/or you wish to sell the chicks. If your flock is infected with a severe or uncommon form of Marek's you'll want to know so you can stop selling your stock.

I'm rather surprised they are refusing to vaccinate them. Both I and my boss have purchased many bantams, most of them Silkies, via hatchery, and they have all been vaccinated. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to vaccinate them based on size - it'll be a bit more tricky, perhaps, but far from impossible.

Ok so say there 100% carrier so the one whos frizzledImix it to mom and iIshould get a few frizzle silkies....i

Essentially, yes. Breed the frizzled, silkie-carrier son back to mom, you will get 75% Silkie-feathered offspring, and of those 75% Silkie and 25% normal chicks, 50% will be frizzled. So you will get lots of Silkie feathered birds, some Silkied AND frizzled birds, some flat feathered birds, and some frizzle feathered birds.

Keep in mind that the technical definition of Sizzle is a Silkie with frizzled feathers INSTEAD of silky feathers. If it has both Silkie and frizzle feathering, it's a Silkied Sizzle, or a Frilkie, depending on who you ask. Of course, in this case, your birds are still very early generation birds; so while they will LOOSELY class as Sizzles and/or Frilkies, they will still show a lot of Cochin blood, and will technically be crosses for a while yet! When all or almost all of the chicks produced consistently show black skin, medium crest, full beard/muffs (or not if you prefer beardless and breed for that), properly feathered feet, five toes, and a proper Silkie body type, then they will be genuine Sizzles and Frilkies.

Of course none of this technically matters if you are just breeding "for fun", but personally I think using proper terms is important even if you are only doing it for your own enjoyment. Using proper terminology and knowing what you are breeding helps foster accuracy and prevents the spread of misinformation within the poultry community. :)

Ok makes perfect sence....thats y im asking around to learning everthing I can before I get to far....so im on the right path I guess

Awesome! I'm always happy to help beginners. If I can help newbies avoid even one of the confusing mistakes or pitfalls I've experienced in keeping/breeding, then that makes me very happy! And kudos to you for seeking out the information and learning what you can!

the feed stores around here sell vaccinated birds. you would have to ask the feed store. each one might be different. i buy our vaccine at one of the feed stores but you can order from Jeffers equine online. we pay $20 for it here and it does 1,000 birds (smallest qt. available!) it has to be used within an hour of mixing, you need a needle and syringe to get it out, has to be refrigerated. the feed store sells what we need. SHOULD be done on day one but if hatching sometimes it takes several days...i do what i can. i gave up on hatcheries. i have gotten mixes when supposed to be pure, since i generally am looking for the fancier breeds it seems like a lot don't make the journey. have tried everything and only saved ONE that was going down. and that cost me $50 at the vet. she was worth it to me....she is the only Spitzhauben i have and i love that breed. all that being said i did order from strombergs for an april delivery...i will give probiotics, electrolytes and medicated chic starter upon arrival....they are all bantams so even riskier...maybe NC does not have marecks disease? here it is everywhere....they say EVERY bird has been exposed...it is a horrid disease. it is a virus though so vaccine keeps the symptoms at bay but does not prevent them getting it....but that is all you can do so i do it. good luck.....that was sincere not sarcastic !!! chickens need a lot of luck i think!

Most reputable feed stores will order vaccinated chicks. You can ask them if they do to be certain.

Risks are pretty much entirely dependent on your situation. Some areas have very high rates of Marek's Disease (in my locale, for example, my avian vet has estimated 95% of flocks are infected with the same mild form of it). Some strains are way more aggressive than others - one certain strain might wipe out 9/10 birds in a flock, others might have 10% morbidity and not kill a single bird. The milder strains tend to be more prevalent, thankfully, but that doesn't mean the aggressive ones aren't out there.

Getting non-vaccinated chicks means that they have potential to show symptoms if they are infected or become infected. Vaccines are 95% effective if used properly - "properly" meaning that the vaccinated chicks are kept away from potential infection until 3 weeks of age, as that's the time period required for the vaccine to take full effect. In properly vaccinated birds there is still a 5% failure rate, meaning that 5% of birds, if infected, have the potential to show symptoms and become sickly. Keep in mind that vaccination does NOT prevent the birds from becoming infected with, carrying, or spreading Marek's Disease. If infected, they can still infect other birds. But they won't show symptoms or become sick with it.

There are several farm supply stores were the vaccine can be purchased online. It is rather expensive - last I checked, around $40 for a 1000 dose/non reusable bottle.

Personally I always suggest purchasing vaccinated birds if they are pets, layers, ornamentals, or meat fowl, and buying unvaccinated birds (or hatching and not vaccinating) if they are to be breeders and/or you wish to sell the chicks. If your flock is infected with a severe or uncommon form of Marek's you'll want to know so you can stop selling your stock.

I'm rather surprised they are refusing to vaccinate them. Both I and my boss have purchased many bantams, most of them Silkies, via hatchery, and they have all been vaccinated. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to vaccinate them based on size - it'll be a bit more tricky, perhaps, but far from impossible.
how would bringing in vaccinated chicks affect my breeders that have not been vaccinated

you can mix them from what i hear. i have two bantams that were not vaccinated. i did not think to ask til i got them home..dont even ask me why! assumption on my part....

what is a frizzle silkie compared to a sizzle????? i have two from my hatch that look frizzled.....i would hate to be calling them the wrong thing! the are 2 1/2 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom