Silkie thread!

I'm with Lacrystol regarding Mareck's and recently read there are about 5 different strains of it too.  I don't much like incureable Mycoplasmas either but at least it is somewhat manageable because of all the help you guys are giving me and my vet's wonderful input.  Yes, mixing medicines is a no-no so if Denagard is used it shouldn't be used with Tylan.  I believe I will save the Tylan for another episode with my Silkie but use the Denaguard as a preventative during flock stress like broodiness, extreme weather changes, molting stress (my hens seem to really get very low appetites during molts), heavy laying cycles, etc - which all these things of one form or another are going on throughout the year it seems!!!

My vet said the U.K. where Denagard is used and where chickens are found just about in every yard, they have cultivated a lot of knowledge re: backyard chickens.  Still he is extremely cautious about the use of antibiotics and wants me to be very careful about not using Denagard too much or the illness will develop a resistance to the medicine and not work any more.  Broiler and Layer industries (where he once worked) and flock breeders need constant wellness management but he cautions about regular over-used treatments for pet chickens.  I only have 3 free-range backyard chickens and will add 2 juveniles in the Spring - I don't breed or want chicks.  [COLOR=0000FF]Do you all still recommend I should use 8cc/gal Denaguard EVERY month for my very small flock?[/COLOR]  I'm also wondering how many of the wild birds in the yard have picked up CRD to become carriers as well.  The little buggers are riddled with lice too.

Also read that about 98% of U.S. flocks have Mycoplasma G or S and that some chickens as carriers don't show symptoms because they are immune to succumbing - but apparently my little Silkie is prone to contract it when our other 2 pets have never shown symptoms.  Still the vet recommended to add Tylan to the sick Silkie's as well as outside flock's drinking water since all are obviously exposed (he recommended feeding cooked rice since antibiotic treatments can cause watery poops).  The sick Silkie came down with visible symptoms like raspy throat, labored breathing, wheezing, excessive head shaking, complaining voice croak, weight loss - although I've never seen severe watery diarrhea, watery eyes, or runny nostrils like some people have said.  He also suggested the usual health maintenance tips like worming, vitamin supplementation, lice/mite protection, etc., like most of us chicken owners are already doing.

I am relieved that I don't have to think about euthanizing my spunky Silkie after everyone's encouraging help and our vet's input.  I am just having a difficult time accepting the monthly 8cc/gal Denaguard regimen and maybe use it only during the months of broodiness, molt, or weather extremes - it would be about 5 months or less.  For us the symptoms manifested only in the Fall/Winter when cold temps and molting were going on.  In SoCalif our weather is warm to a couple weeks of heatwaves in summer so a rare freeze is a shock to our systems.

Thanks Suzierd for the link which I had already perused and for the encouragements!  I've read a lot of non-BYC reviews on Denagard also.

The great thing about Denagard is there is NO resistance. Don't mean to repeat if this was already said I'm behind on this thread.

Our first eggs ever! On the right. Store bought on left. Not bad!

Back
Top Bottom