Silkie thread!

Ugh my roos are fighting.

I feel your pain
barnie.gif

What is better to use to write on hatching eggs with I us crayons but I just wanted to be sure
I've heard to wash your hands before touching hatching eggs because of the oil from your skin. So I'm not sure about crayon wax. I've heard that u should use pencils. I've done this and it seems to work best. :jumpy

I've heard to wash your hands before touching hatching eggs because of the oil from your skin. So I'm not sure about crayon wax. I've heard that u should use pencils. I've done this and it seems to work best. :jumpy
when I bought my incubator I hatched 8 eggs i tried not to handle them the least I could I wasn't sure what to use to put the date on them and I had a crayon handy and that's what I used but now I'm waiting on silkie eggs and I want to make sure everything is rite thanks I will use pencil for sure

I've used crayons, pencils and sharpies. I haven't noticed a difference either way. I use sharpies to mark all of my eggs now (because it doesn't wear off), the eggs hatch fine. Washing your hands before you touch the eggs is to rid them of bacteria- which can enter the eggs through the pores in the shell and cause all kinds of trouble. You should was your hands after you handle them as well.

ohhhh! mine is grey! I loved it just because of the vent it had! once I bought it I instantly started coming up with ideas on how to keep the vent from getting water in it. I think im going to create some sort of wood cover for it. I just love it and love the idea!

I get the huge $5 bag of pine shavings from my local TSC

How big is the bag? I'm debating between shaving or bedding, like wood bedding for flower beds. I think the wood bedding will be better when it rains. :/ So, better for the major part, and the rabbit bedding for the coop.
Oh. Gray is cute, too. The one I have I got back in 2007. ^.^ I'm so happy I can up cycle it! Yeah, I'm thinking a little wood roof, maybe over the entire thing, so they can stick their heads out when it rains and now get wet.
Okay, I'm crazy with my chicks. >.<

Off topic... ^.- I was told Zazzels is a roo. Any clue when he might start to crow? He's just so fluffy and cute! Both of them are really quiet still. They're 9 weeks
Old, I think.

I've used crayons, pencils and sharpies. I haven't noticed a difference either way. I use sharpies to mark all of my eggs now (because it doesn't wear off), the eggs hatch fine. Washing your hands before you touch the eggs is to rid them of bacteria- which can enter the eggs through the pores in the shell and cause all kinds of trouble. You should was your hands after you handle them as well.
cool ty so much I just love BYC. Every one is so helpful and full of knowledge awesome site

@Sylvester017 , @Fancychooklady my silkie is just 12 months old. They are laid 2 months back for the first time and after giving 5 eggs they stopped laying. And that time their ear lobes were dark blue. But now the color has changed to lightest blue. I wonder why?
Worming them will help?

Don't know if worming has anything to do with earlobes. Anyway I worm 3-4x/yr and preferably NOT during stressful times like brooding, prolific egg laying, illness, extreme cold or heatwaves, molting, etc. My Black Silkie still has grayish-black earlobes and once in a while they turn a bit bluish gray but very seldom - she's 3 yrs old. My Partridge Silkie has always had the prettiest turquoise ears no matter what time of year. Who'd guess why?

Back
Top Bottom